Chris L.
Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Computer expert with over 10 years experience.
51029781

My Dell lap top will not boot up it will not restore

Customer Question

Category: Computer
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
Steve :

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'd like to help you with your laptop.

Steve :

Ok, well it doesn't appear that you're online and this really requires an interactive session, so I'll opt out and hope that someone can catch you online here soon.

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** certified computer professional with over 10 years experience. I will be happy to help you.

It is possible that the computer has had some sort of hardware failure or it could be that your windows installation is beyond repair and would need to be reinstalled.

If you have a windows CD I would suggest you try booting into that and choosing the repair option. The CD has the proper system files and can copy them back which can sometimes correct issues like this.

If you do not have a CD then you will need to get one or take the computer into the shop for repair.

Honestly if you do not have a CD it is probably less time consuming to just take it to the shop for a proper diagnosis as it could be something like your hard drive is failing or any one of a hundred things.

If you want me to provide some more suggestions on thing youcan try you will need to get a hold of your operating system CD.

If you have a moment please rate my service by clicking on one of the faces below, positive ratings are appreciated. You can always return to this page to talk with me any time.

Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Hey there,

Were you able to get ahold of a windows installation disc?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi I have just got the chance to read your message so your saying I'm gonna need the cd to continue, so is their nothing that we can try

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Well from what you described in your question it sounds like you have tried everything and none have worked.

One simple thing you can try if you have not is as follows.

First please turn off the computer and remove the battery and the power adapter.

Once it is completely off press and hold the power button for 30 seconds.

Leave the computer sitting for about 15 minutes with the power adapter and battery out.

Once 15 minutes has passed plug in the adapter but leave the battery out and press and hold the power button for 10 seconds.

If the computer now boots it just needed a hard reset and you should be.

Sometimes the above method will get a non booting laptop to boot. However if this doesn't work and restore is not working then yes we will need a CD in order to repair.

Give it a go and let me know.

Thanks,
Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok ill give it a go

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Brilliant, let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm at work finish at 21.30 when I get in ill try speak soon

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Sounds good. Let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Did you get a chance to try what I suggested?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes i did but nothing

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
What exactly does it do now when you turn it on, what are you seeing on the screen?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

On the screen windows Error recovery

Windows fail to start .

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. Ok really there is nothing more you can do without a recovery CD.

What is the model of dell this is? I may be able to locate a cheap recovery CD for you if you prefer to try and repair it yourself rather than take it to a shop for repair.

Also which version which version of windows is this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Windows 7 Dell inspirion n7110

Dell model no 7110- 6207

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** you have your windows 7 license key? It may be on a sticker in the computer. If you have that you may be able to download and create a windows 7 CD that you can use for repair.

Also it would be good to know, do you have files on this computer that you do not have backed up any place and cannot lose?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have the product key and yes I have back up all my info

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.

Ok that is great news so really we can just re-install.

Since you have the product key you can download windows 7 and create a bootable disc. You will need a CD burner and of course a blank CD to do this.

If you go to the following page:
http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/14-windows-7-direct-download-links

Scroll way down to the bottom and you will see links to download the iso files. They have a bunch of different countries so get the English (USA) one. You just need to choose the correct version, for example professional or home premium and 32 or 64 bit. If you don't know just look up your computers specs but most likely it is windows 7 home premium 64 bit.

Just download the matching iso file and then create a bootable CD from that iso.

If you don't know how to create a bootable CD here is how along with the software to do so.

Click HERE and download cdburnerxp

Install then open the Cdburnerxp program and select "Burn ISO Image" next Add the windows 7 ISO file you saved earlier to a blank disk When done, place this cd in the computer and restart it.

It should detect the CD and boot into the windows installation.

Aside from that there is nothing else, you need to do a reinstall of windows.

Please take a moment please rate my service by clicking on one of the smiley faces below. You can always return to this page to talk with me any time.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience: Certified Computer expert with over 10 years experience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There is loads of iso how will I know which one

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
I think your computer has windows 7 64 bit so the one you will want is Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 U (media refresh)

Here is the link firectly to the ISO:
http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-58997.iso

If this is your computer than the iso I linked above is the one you need
http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-i7-2630QM-Quad-Core-Processor/dp/B006EPQA0E
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

On mine it's says x16-96072 but I can't see this code on here so x17- 58997

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Usually on the laptop itself it will say windows 7 64 bit home premium.

I am almost sure that is what you have so just click HERE for the correct ISO.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Let me know how it goes. I will be offline for the rest of tonight but back tomorrow.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Hey there, how's it going?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi I have downloaded the iso file on my computer now I am trying to put it on a dvd but it's not happening ....I have also downloaded c burner xp

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
What is not happening? Any error message?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When I open the file that you told me about its opening up as a media burner

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Follow the steps on this page and let me know where you get stuck:
https://cdburnerxp.se/help/Data/burn-iso

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have down loaded x17- 58997.iso file but it's really big it's 3gb so it keep pushing out the dvd

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have down loaded x17- 58997.iso file but it's really big it's 3gb so it keep pushing out the dvd ...when I open the file x17- 58997 I see nti media maker open

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Are your DVDs big enough? They should be able to burn the iso. I am not there so I cant see if you're doing something wrong but usually it is a straight forward process. You should just set it and let it burn.

Make sure you are using a blank DVD and the computer does have the capability to do this.

If you cannot get the DVD made you can buy one at places like ebay. Have a look
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-DELL-Microsoft-Windows-7-Professonal-64Bit-Reinstall-DVD-disc-w-Ram-/251648653095?pt=US_Operating_Systems_Software&hash=item3a976db727
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi I was at work sorry hmm... can I use my service tag or express service code down load the c from Dell website

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
I don't think so. Honestly I am not sure what the issue with the ISO is. I know those work so if we can get that sorted that would be best.

You may be able to order a recovery disc from dell but I do not think they have downloads of it.

GIve them a call, even though you are likely out of warranty they may at least be able to point towards a recovery CD.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok the iso file that I download when I right click and open it I see a cd/dvd burner open is that the way it should be ...I know it's hard for you cause you can see what I'm doing

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Ok let me explain a bit.

You never open the ISO. An ISO file is an image of a CD. To use them they need to be burned onto CD.

So what you do is open CD burner Xp. Then you select Burn ISO to disc.

Next it will ask you to choose your ISO and you select Burn disc.

Have a look at this image below. You in the top box you need to click the dots and choose your ISO you downloaded:
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok I got you when I double click on mine that I have downloaded it's open nti media maker 8 I can see a cd and beside it it says 140921_0110

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How do you send those pictures I would like to send you a picture of what I'm talking about I need the laptop for tomorrow

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
You need to upload the pictures to a file sharing site like www.wikisend.com and then give meth elink.

I am not sure what you are talking about with media maker 8? Remember you do not open the iso on the disc.

You burn the iso to a disc and then you put that burned disc into the computer with the issue and boot it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi I hope your still sign in again I'm sorry for all this ... Their is a site called neosmart technologies have you ever heard of them they charge us$19 and I can download recovery disk for windows

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
No problem. Sorry for the delay in replying it is Saturday night here and I am kind of half online, not really working now.

Anyway, if you download a recovery disc you will still need to burn the iso to a CD. I gave you a full windows installation ISO which is better than a recovery disc.

Are you on the computer now with the ISO? Do you want me to connect to the computer and see if I can burn it for you?

I dont have a lot of time so let me know as soon as you can.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes if you can do so thanks

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Ok we need to do it right now.

Please click HERE and then click Join Session to connect. You will need to download and run the connection utility so if anything pops up and asks you to run or allow say yes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Now I'm on my phone should I log on to a computer

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Yes. I need to connect to the computer that you are trying to burn the iso with.

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
I am really short on time now, what is going on? Did you attempt to connect to remote?

Please let me know. I am waiting to hear back.
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Sorry we couldn't get that to work but the DVD burner was not functional. It may be possible to fix but I am not sure at the moment.

CD burner xp was not working and I think it was because of the problem with the drive.

The second iso burner I used can be downloaded here in case you need it:
http://www.freeisoburner.com/

Hope everything works out. If you need computer help in the future let me know.
-Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi I hope you can give me some more help again I have now burn the iso file on a dvd I inserted it into the laptop but still nothing.

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
If still nothing than it is not booting to the CD. This could be for a bunch of reasons.

You may need to set the drive as the first boot device in the system BIOS.

Restart your computer.

At the first text on the screen or when the Dell logo appears, tap [F2] until the message Entering Setup appears.

You should be at a screen with a bunch of options. Use the keyboard to navigate to the boot section. In there you will see a list of drives and their boot priority. You need to set the CD drive as the first priority.

Instructions on doing so will be on the screen.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes I did as you said and the cd started to spin like it was doing something then it stopped and went back to windows error recovery

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Ok then you likely have 1. A bad CD, 2. Bad CD drive, 3. Hardware failure of some kind in the laptop.

Sometimes when it begins to boot from CD it will say on the screen press any key to boot from CD. So look out for that.

But if it is not booting from CD then there is something wrong with the disc or the drive. It's tough for me to say because I am not there and don't know if everything was done correctly.

Computer repairs are difficult especiall what you are trying to attempt so it's possible you made some kind of mistake that you did not realize and since I wasn't there I don't know about.

Honestly your best bet may be to take itto a repair shop. I say this because even with my help, I am not there so I cannot see any mistakes that you may be making.Also remember what I said earlier, you may very well have a hardware issue and reinstalling windows is not going to fix that. So it is completely possible all of these efforts will not help at all.

It is of course your call but I am not sure what else I can tell you to do as it seems like we have hit a wall here.
-Chris