Russell H.
Russell H., Computer System Tech
Experience:  11 years experience
13568747

It appears that the blank PDF file which was attached to an

It appears that the blank PDF file which was attached to an email that I received from one company was a scam. Unfortunately, the normally cautious me clicked on it without first reading the email properly and I'm concerned that it may have affected my PC's data. I'm afraid that my attempts to download the open-source malware scanning tool for Linux Mint 17 has failed. Can you please help me. Thank you.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
Michelle :

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.

Customer:

Michelle :

if you are facing any kind of malware popup or your browser opens something else while you tyr to open something else that means your computer it infected with malawares

Michelle :

let me know

Customer:

Although I haven't had any of that, I have found that the printer takes its time - sometimes - to print an email.

Michelle :

try following the steps and let me know if there is any improvement or else i can check your computer using remote access for any malware or trojan infections later.

Michelle :

Steps to follow:

Michelle :

1.Turn off the printer power and uninstall the printer driver.

Michelle :

2. Reboot the computer after removing the printer driver.

Michelle :

3. Download and re install the latest printer driver from the link given below.

Michelle :

Let me know the printer make and model so that i can give you the link to download the latest printer driver to get downloaded.

Customer:

Canon Pixma MP 230 (Printer &Scanner)

Customer:

Model No: K10379

Customer:

I hadn't realised that malware could affect the printer.

Michelle :

it can effect anything connected to the computer and that includes the computer as well.

Michelle :

click this link to open the driver download page

Michelle :

as the page opens select the correct operating system from the drop down and then download the full featured driver software to install it.

Customer:

Ah - I see. Will you be staying with me until I complete the procedure or will I need to contact you again?

Michelle :

sure i will be with you till you try.

Customer:

thank you - so shall I start?

Michelle :

yes please.

Customer:

Sorry, I'm having difficulty uninstalling the printer - 'Printers - local host is not responding' has appeared on the screen.

Michelle :

what is the operating system you have on the computer

Customer:

Are you referring to Linux Mint 17 'Quiana'?

Michelle :

you have linux operating system in the computer?

Customer:

I presume so.

Michelle :

i have no expertise in linux in that case i will have to open your question to the linux category.

Customer:

OK thank you.

Michelle :

Please do not rate me for this service as it was not mentioned that your computer operating system is linux.

Customer:

That's Ok.

Michelle :

Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

What anti-malware tool did you attempt to download?

And from what site or source did you try to download it? (if you can remember.)

Do you know how to boot up your Linux in superuser mode?

I have some Linux expertise, so I ought to be able to assist you, but I will need information on what is going on.

Expert:  Arty replied 2 years ago.
While Russel is away I can help you. I dealt with infected Linux servers and PCs and have experience on finding Linux trojan horses and malware.

First of all we should decide is this attachment dangerous or not.

1. If you still have the message with that PDF, could you save this file as attachment and upload it to http://wikisend.com, then post link here
2. Run 'ps -axuwwf' and copy-paste it's output here
3. Run 'sudo netstat -nlp' and provide it's output too

Regards,
Arty
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your unexpected answer as Kamil Anwar1 had in his reply (2.22 GMT yesterda) (i) referred me to the www.virustotal.com website, and said (ii) that I could forward the DPF file for him to check which I wasn't able to do as I had aready deleted it.

I managed to download the Linux Malware Detect Scanning Tool this morning and it had 1 hit.

Is there anything else that I need to do to ensure that there aren't any hidden trojan horses / malware lurking in the system as I had a strange experience last night when a website address I'd typed immediately directed me to another website!

I had a strange experience last night when a website address I'd typed immediately directed me to another website!

That is called redirection. Or else, if it is not programmed in, then it is a 'browser hijacker'. If you observe that happening all the time with certain types of sites, such as search engines, then you may have a browser hijacker virus.

But, if it was just one site, that's not to be worried about - some sites redirect to others, and are supposed to be that way.

As for attachments to emails - they are indeed the primary source of infections of computers, esp. if they have executable content, such as EXE files, DMG files, or scripts of various sorts. Be cautious of them, scan the attachment first before opening it, to make sure that they are OK.

As for attachments to emails that arrive from complete strangers or as part of Spam emails - they are very suspect and you should not touch such attachments.

It's best to periodically update, and then run, the Malware Scanning Tool, on the whole system, to make sure nothing is growing in it, nor infecting it.
Russell H., Computer System Tech
Experience: 11 years experience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you - I shall heed your advice. Although I've been told that I don't need an anti-virus with Linux, I think that my foolishness has proved otherwise!

Every operating system claims to be virus-proof (or at least, MAC OS 9 and previous versions had some legitimacy to that claim, perhaps) for a while after its release, but eventually proves vulnerable, especially with increasing market share (which makes it a bigger target.)

If you think my answer was helpful and worth it, please rate my Answer favorably, so that I may be paid for the work I have done on your question. And, good luck.