Wes
Wes, Consultant
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, 20+ years experience.
63083622

I have a Lenovo Thinkcentre (with touch screen) and the 'start'

I have a Lenovo Thinkcentre (with touch screen) and the 'start' menu (bottom left)keeps appearing (every few minutes) without me touching the icon, this happens all the time in the middle of any program I am working on. Any way to stop it?
Charles
Category: Computer
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
Are you using windows 8? The site says it is windows 7.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am using Widows 7 though the ThinkCentre can run Windows 8

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok how do you have the taskbar set then? It is actually supposed to open the way you are mentioning on windows 7 when the mouse is near where the taskbar should be if you set it to hide.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The start button (bottom left corner) operates quite normally when I click on it, it is just the start menu pops up every few minutes all on it's own and I have to click the mouse to get it to go away, if I am in the middle of another program it makes the curser go into the bottom left corner!!

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
It is supposed to pop up like that if the mouse is in the bottom left corner. Is the mouse normally somewhere else and then jumps there?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Do you only use the touch screen or do you have a regular mouse connected as well?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Almost 100% I use a mouse

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Can you test it for a little while without the mouse connected and see if the same thing happens? That will tell us if the mouse is causing it or not.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK I will try but am out all day tomorrow so will come back to u Friday. Many thanks Charles

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
You can take all the time you need.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Freddy - Over the weekend I tried disconnecting the mouse but it had no effect

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Using only the touch screen even if you were not touching it at all, it would jump to the bottom left? I apologize but if that is the case it rules out what I was thinking so I will opt out and open this to all experts.
.
Expert:  Wes replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Please favorite or bookmark this page so you can return here if we get disconnected. If you haven't already done so, disconnect the keyboard and see if the behavior continues and let me know. If the behavior stops, it's a stuck key on the keyboard. If the behavior continues it is likely there is a problem with the touchscreen (a short or damaged capacitative array). That would be something that is not user-repairable and would have to be returned to Lenovo for service. One way to attempt to figure out if it is the touchscreen or not would be to go into the Device Manager (Start, then right click on computer and hit properties, then select device manager from the window that shows up). Look under mouse and pointing devices and see if there's an entry for the touch screen. Right click on it and hit disable. See if the behavior stops. Now, if it does stop, that again means there's something wrong with the touch screen. If you don't want to have it fixed and want to leave it disabled, you would have to uninstall the drivers for the touchscreen so it doesn't re-enable each time you reboot. Let me know what happens.
Wes, Consultant
Experience: Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, 20+ years experience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Wes - I have unplugged the keyboard but the menu still keeps appearing. I have gone into Device manager, properties, mouse and pointing devices but there is no "touchscreen" in the list only two copies of "HID compliant mouse"

Charles

Expert:  Wes replied 2 years ago.
Okay, you can try disabling the HID compliant mouse entries (one at a time), if you find the one that is your regular mouse you can use the keyboard or touch screen to re-enable it then try the other one.  Also try looking in the monitor (and other sections).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Wes - disabling the mouse entries did not work but I found the touch screen under "Human Interface Devices", it was called "Nextwindow Voltron Touch Screen" and now I have disabled it the menu has stopped popping up!!! Many thanks!!!

Can you tell me where and what the drivers are so I can uninstall.

Charles

Expert:  Wes replied 2 years ago.
Right click on the device in device manager and hit properties. Click the driver tab. Next click Uninstall, then click ok.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Goodbye Charles