Kriptokrit
Kriptokrit, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 6 years of experience in Computer support service.
63849745

My Kindle screen has gone blurred over about 60% of the surface

My Kindle screen has gone blurred over about 60% of the surface in a criss-cross pattern and none of the buttons function; I can't even switch it off. Would like to contact repair technician in North Norfolk (UK) area. Thanks, ***** *****
Category: Computer
Expert:  Kriptokrit replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for your question Debbie.
I'm Todd and I will be the expert working with you today to help resolve your problem.

When did you purchase your Kindle?
Can you confirm that your Kindle did not get wet or physically damaged?
Regards,
Todd
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Todd,

My KIndle was a birthday present July 2012.

The problem happened overnight Saturday 20th September, it didn't get wet or damaged.

Thank you for your reply Debbie.
Please note that electronics troubleshooting is not always easy and sometimes I will not be able to find solution for your problem immediately, so if my first answer does not resolve your problem or you need more information please do not rate my answer negative BAD SERVICE or POOR SERVICE (that will result in a permanent negative feedback on my record - very damaging for me). Please use "Reply to Expert" button instead.
•ANSWER•
This problem sounds like a hardware issue (defective screen), but sometimes the same issue can be caused by glitch in the software. If there is no hardware issue on the device, some of the solutions below should resolve this issue.
Please follow the steps below to reset your device:
1. Press and hold (or slide and hold) the power button for exactly 35 seconds.
2. After 35 seconds, release the power button.
3. Wait 2 minute, then turn on your Kindle.
Please try this procedure at least 3 times (if you have leather cover or any other cover remove it).
If the previous procedure doesn't work, perform the procedure below:
1. Plug the Kindle into the charger for 5 minutes.
2. After 5 minutes (while still plugged in) press and hold power (slide and hold) button for 35 seconds.
3. Allow up to 3 minutes for the Kindle to reboot.
Please try both solutions (step by step) and let me know if that works. I'll be waiting for your reply.
If none of those solutions works or you need more information please do not rate my answer negative BAD service or POOR service. Reply to me using "Reply to Expert" button and I'll provide you with more help/information (about repair, warranty etc.).
Kind Regards,
Todd
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Todd'

I've tried the 35seconds/2minutes procedure several times and all the switches are now functioning correctly.

Unfortunately most of the screen is still obscured and unreadable.

I have to go out now so I will try the other procedure starting with five minutes charging later today.

Best wishes,

Debbie

Dear Debbie,
Thank you for your reply and additional information.
No problem, take your time. I'm online daily, so please let me know the result when you have time.
I'll be waiting for your reply and happy to help with any follow up questions.
Have a nice day,
Todd
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello again,

Sorry about the delay, I will definitely rate your service once all the procedures are complete.

I've just put my Kindle on charge to try the 'Five Minute Solution'. Will get back to you in approximately 8minutes 35seconds.

Thanks for your ongoing help'

Debbie

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello again,

I've tried the charge-hold power button-reboot idea and still have the same problem. my Kindle is functioning all except the screen which remains unreadable, about 60% distorted by an intense hatching appearance.

As you suggest, this may be a hardware (screen malfunction) problem.

Is there anything else I can do and if not can you advise me how to rate your service?

You have been as helpful as possible but my Kindle is still not working.

Look forward to hearing from you,

Debbie

Sorry for the late response Debbie.
If none of the previous solutions works (the most important troubleshooting steps), I have good and bad news for you (please don't shoot the messenger).
Bad news is that your Kindle is defective. I have provided you with the all troubleshooting steps for resolving this kind of issue (resetting the software, force reset, USB charging). Unfortunately there is an hardware issue on the device that software troubleshooting can't resolve.
Good news is that if your Kindle is still under Amazon warranty (1-year warranty) you will receive a new Kindle for free.
If your Kindle is out of warranty, the good news is that Amazon does often replace Kindles out of warranty. At least they would replace it for less than the cost of repairing.
You will have to contact your seller or Amazon warranty support service directly to arrange replacement.
There is an option that Amazon calls you. Please follow the steps below:
1. Go to the page below - click here.
Log in using your Amazon account information.
2. Select Kindle > Kindle Device (or Troubleshooting my Kindle) > Problem with my Kindle > My Kindle is damaged or Kindle is frozen/unresponsive
3. Click Phone - Call us
4. Enter your number and choice "Call me now" or "Call me for 5 minutes".
Sorry I could not be of any more assistance, but there is a hardware issue that can't be resolved online.
Please let me know if you are not satisfied with my help or if you need more information. I'll be happy to help with any follow up questions.
Kind Regards,
Todd
Kriptokrit, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Over 6 years of experience in Computer support service.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My Kindle has been replaced, thank you and I have no more questions.

I rated you 'Good' because you instructions were clear and easy to follow although in the end you could not solve the problem.

Will definitely use you again if needed.

You're welcome Debbie. I'm glad that I could help.
Thank you for using our service and for positive/good rating. I really appreciate it.
All the best,
Todd