Josh
Josh, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Expert for over 10 years
50836188

The Kindle I received as a retirement present on Friday 26/9/2014

The Kindle I received as a retirement present on Friday 26/9/2014 was bought on the account of The Faculty of Law,*****Cambridge. CB3 9DZ. I am unable to enter a password. The Computer Officer, Mr Andrew Gerrard, omitted to mention this fact to me before I attempted to enter a password. He has told me to contact you directly. Can you help please? What other information do you require? I can only see a barcode on the box and do not have the receipt. Thank you. N.M. Weir (Mrs)
Category: Computer
Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you. Let's get started!

What type of password ***** ***** asking for?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Josh, it just asked for me to enter a password. I am 67 years of age and am not very technically clued up! I wish they had just given me vouchers to get my own Kindle. I was just following the instructions that appeared on the screen. I know nothing else. The screen is showing a design of grey abstract letters. Should I plug it in again?

Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Norma,

It sounds like the Kindle was never cleared properly and it still has a password ***** on the Kindle. Let's double check to find out..

Plug in the Kindle and let me know when and where the password ***** appears. For example, does it appear as soon as you turn it on, does it appear after trying to view the Kindle Store, does it appear after trying to open a website, etc?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Absolutely nothing is happening! There is a little orange light showing next to the plug jack.

Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Norma,

Hold down the POWER BUTTON for about 20 seconds while it is plugged in and it should turn on.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK it has turned on. It is showing my BT Hub and asking me to select Cancel, Restart or Screen off.

Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Click on Restart and let me know what appears on the screen after the restart
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Graphics have begun as before.It is now asking me to register which it did not do previously!

Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
That is okay - You will need to register the Kindle to your account. So if it did not ask you previously then something was wrong because it should have.

Please follow through with the registering of the Kindle
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry for being dim but nothing happens whe I touch the screen on the Register now bit. What is the secret? I thought that it would be a touch screen process.

Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Which Kindle model do you have? Not all models are touch screen.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It just says Kindle paperwhite. Do I need to press any of the symbols at the top of the screen? There is a house, <, light bulb shape, shopping trolley and a magnifying glass. The thing has shut down so I have pressed the power button again!

Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Norma,

To be honest, it sounds like the Paperwhite (which does have touch screen capability) has hardware issues. The symptoms that you are having should not happen at all to a user and they are happening before you can even use the device.

Do you have the ability to contact the person where you got the Kindle from so they can issue a replacement for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Josh, Yes I can get in touch with them tomorrow. I have dug out my BT hub information and the numbers are different to what is on the Kindle screen. Thank you for your help. I think this gadget is going in the bin!

Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Yes, it sounds like the Kindle is the one with issues and you are doing nothing wrong.

Please take a minute and use the smiley faces below to rate our session as EXCELLENT, GOOD, or OK and press Submit so I am credited with helping you.