Michelle
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

My daughter has been playing about with the family laptop it

My daughter has been playing about with the family laptop it is a toshiba satellite , now when we turn it on the screen says reboot and select proper boot device. Please please can you help us thankyou....
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
Michelle :

Hi my name is ***** ***** i will be assisting you today.

I am sorry to hear that you are facing problem with your computer.

Michelle :

unplug the power adapter from the laptop, remove the battery as well.

Michelle :

Press and hold down the power button on the laptop for 45 seconds without connecting the ac adapter or the battery this step will drain the static electric built on the main board of the computer, after you release the power button after 45 seconds connect the battery and the ac adapter and turn on the laptop

Michelle :

keep hitting F12 key few times you will see a boot menu options select hdd or hard drive using the arrow key on the keyboard and hit enter.

Michelle :

let me know after trying these steps.

Customer:

It's still the same

Michelle :

on F12 what all options did you get to choose

Customer:

Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key

Michelle :

This is the error you get but when you kept hitting F12 key initially when you started the computer did you get few option on the screen like to choose your boot device cd/dvd, Hdd/hard disk or something

Customer:

Yes ODD: HDD/SSD LAN:

Michelle :

if you can tell me the Toshiba model number i can check if this laptop has an ssd drive or an hdd drive, the error "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key" is basically popping up because the computer is unable to find a bootable drive which is windows.

Customer:

L775-11F is this what you require...

Michelle :

how old is the laptop

Customer:

About 5 or 6 years we think

Michelle :

as per specification this has a hard drive and not an ssd drive so select the hdd using the arrow key and once its highlighted then hit enter it will boot

Michelle :

let me know after you try this

Customer:

No change still same problem

Michelle :

as i told you about the error that the computer is fine and its basically looking for the hard drive which it cannot find or the operating system is bad due to which its not loading windows

Michelle :

we will have to identify now whether the hard drive has gone bad or its able to locate the hdd but it cannot load window due to windows os corruption.

Michelle :

how are you communicating with me

Customer:

On my samsung

Michelle :

alright

Michelle :

Shut down the computer now

Michelle :

let me know when its off

Customer:

It's now off

Michelle :

please follow this step carefully now

Michelle :

as you turn the power on keep hitting the F2 key we need to get into the bios screen

Michelle :

once you are there let me know.

Customer:

Now in

Michelle :

look for hard drive is it listed in there.

Customer:

Yes

Michelle :

is it the hdd what does it say

Customer:

Hdd

Michelle :

does it say 500gb or 650gb

Customer:

Michelle dont know if I have done this right total memory size 4096mb sorry not very good at this kind of thing

Michelle :

are you on the bios screen the blue or black screen

Customer:

Blue at the top is main, security, power manager, advanced, boot I am in main

Michelle :

go to the boot menu using the arrow key

Customer:

I am there

Michelle :

now tell me what is listed is the first boot

Customer:

HDD/SSD HITACHI HTS543232A7A384

Michelle :

press F9

Michelle :

then press F10

Michelle :

to exit

Customer:

Nothing happens wheni press f10

Michelle :

press esc key select save changes and exit

Customer:

Back to the same problem

Michelle :

i have diagnosed the problem it not the hard drive which i was suspecting to be bad its basically the windows operating system which has gone corrupted due to which the computer is un able to boot.

Michelle :

do you have a windows 7 disk ?

Customer:

No

Michelle :

as you said the laptop is more then 5 years old you must be having huge amount of data, files, picture etc.

Customer:

Not to many

Michelle :

i can give you factory restore steps which will bring back the computer back to it original factory installed and out of box like the day you got the computer the first day

Michelle :

your data will be lost in that case

Customer:

Yes please can we do that Michelle.

Michelle :

okay

Michelle :

did you get any recovery disks along with the computer when you got.

Customer:

No

Michelle :

no problem i will give you few key combination steps to try that might work of the hard drive has a hidden factory restore partition then it will get activated however if the hard drive dont have an active factory partition then i am sorry to say you will have to get a new windows disk to get it reinstalled.

Michelle :

let me know when you are ready.

Customer:

Ready

Michelle :

Press and hold "0" (zero) key on your keyboard and then depress the computers power switch. When the computer turns on, the Toshiba HDD Recovery Uitlity Screen will appear, presenting 3 options, just choose Restore Original Factory Image.

Press 1 to restore your hard disk drive to its original factory default. A confirmation message will appear, indicating that all data will be overwritten and lost during the restore process. Be sure to back up all important files before proceeding.

Click Yes to begin restoration, A message will appear once the operation is finished, indicating that the HDD has been restored.

Press any key to restart the computer.

Customer:

i have tried this and still the same..

Michelle :

when you tried to run the 0 key recovery did the recovery screen started to work let me know.

Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors