John
John, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I have been in the IT field for the past 8 years. I also worked as a system admin for a construction company for 3 years.
50152684

Why does the available space on my C-drive get smaller without

Why does the available space on my C-drive get smaller without me having installed no
new applications? 10 days ago I had 9.20 GB available, now it is only 1GB.
Frank Weber
Category: Computer
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.
John :

Hello my name is***** will be assisting you today. I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your PC. I will try my best to help you.

John :

Sir most of the applications file save location is also in C drive also the downloads,movies,pictures it all goes to C drive unless you change it to another drive

John :

Also have you tried doing disc clean up on C drive this can remove temporary file both internet and system,system logs,windows update clean up files etc

John :

Note: - Type your message in the chat box below then press enter to send it or click on reply to send it so that I can see your reply

Customer:

I have tried disc clean up, but this gives me a few MBs. Would it be safe to move files important to the operation of some Apps to another drive,perhaps the D-drive?

John :

changing a applications installed files from C drive will make it non usable but you can uninstall that application and then install it on D rive in that way you can use it.
What is the total capacity of C drive?

Customer:

It reads 47.5 GB

John :

That is low for windows 7 partition.what is the size of D drive?

Customer:

450 GB

John :

There is a lot of space on D drive

John :

Have you tried moving the videos,music and pictures to D drive?

Customer:

these amount to only about 1 to 2 GB, most files are empty. Is it possible to increase the capacity of the C-drive by

Customer:

taking some space from the D-drive?

John :

I did check to see if it can be done by extending option but that wont work

John :

Also is there any files holding in recycle bin?

Customer:

is empty

John :

In that case the 2 options are
1.Remove some of the big application from C drive and then install it on D drive
2.Copy all the data you needed from C drive and D drive to a external hard drive then reinstall windows during the installation repartition the hard drive and give C drive 100GB or 150GB then give the rest to D drive

John :

The second method is more helpful in that way you do not need to worry about space issues on C drive for a long time

Customer:

What is it that installes itself into the C-drive without me asking for it

John :

Most of the third party applications will ask you for location to install unless its windows related programs like windows updates,Microsoft C++ redistributable etc

John :

I believe most of the space is consumed by windows 7 operating system files and windows updates

John :

If you want i can remote access to your PC and check if there is any other way.You can see what all i am doing in your PC. Let me know so that I can give you the link to do that.

Customer:

I will contact PC Doctor for help with method 2 above. Thank you for your help.

John :

You are welcome.Is there anything else you like to know ?

John, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: I have been in the IT field for the past 8 years. I also worked as a system admin for a construction company for 3 years.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Re option 2 (reinstalling Windows), I make regular back-ups on a dedicated external drive and also have a system repair disk. Would that

be OK for saving all the contents of C and D drives? Does a backup include the D-drive?

Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.
Sir that will be fine for C drive usually the windows back up system will only back up files on C drive but as a precaution i suggest you copy your personal files like documents,pictures,music,videos etc also remember you need back up files on both drives C&D because when you re-install you need to delete the 2 partitions and then only you can create the required partitions.

If you have any further questions please let me know.

Sincerely,
John

Blessed Day
John, Computer Support Specialist