Viet - Computer Tech
Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer software and hardware support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac.
30037186

I am having regular connection problems when switching on my

I am having regular connection problems when switching on my computer - I sometimes have to try several times before I am connected. The router I have is a Broadband Wireless ADSL2+Router and I have been using this since 2011. The other problem is that my son is on my network system but he is also having connection problems, both with his laptop and new computer, which were set up and connected (we thought) to my router.
He regularly uses ITunes and transfers music to his IPod. He has just bought a new IPod for which he needs to update his ITunes programme - but is unable to do so because the device keeps telling him there is no connection and he cannot therefore download the programme.
Also, our computers are situated in separate rooms and we were told that maybe the connection was too weak through the rourter. Does this mean we need to update the router - if so, do you supply this or will I have to purchase? I has also been suggested that I might need to purchase an adapter. Your help would be appreciated.
Babara Woods (Mrs)
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 2 years ago.

Hello Barbara! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed computer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

I'm sorry about the issue. Since this issue occurs with all devices, then the issue is with the router and/or internet connection.

Have you tried to disconnect the power cord from your router for about 5 minutes, then reconnect and check?

Also, from his laptop and/or his new computer, click on the Wi-Fi/wireless/network icon, then connect to your wireless network name and check.

Please let me know. Thank you,

Experience: Ten years of computer software and hardware support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Viet

Thank you for your prompt repy. I will try the various suggestions you have made when my son returns from work today and we can both test our respective computers. I will get back to you after we have done this.

***** *****s

You're welcome. If needed, another method is to reset the router, but this could cause internet connection issue, so have the phone number of your internet service provider ready in case you need to call them, and only reset the router during business hours. To reset the router: use a pen or pin to press & hold the tiny reset button/hole at the back/bottom of your router for about 15 seconds, then wait a bit, and check. If all fails, you can contact your internet service provider for a new modem/router replacement. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Viet. I seem to have overcome the problem with my own computer, ie can now get a connection more rapidly but still have the annoying Whoops! problem with the browser and then have to wait for it to sort everything out and come back on screen, this happens most days! With regard to my son's laptop, he now has an internet connection and was able to download the new ITunes programme. However, when trying to use his IPod, he could only connect to his original ITunes programme, which is now out of date, although the new programme is shown when he clicks on the ITunes icon on his desktop.

We have spent so much time on getting this done, we haven't yet had time to concentrate on his new main computer but will do so when we can.

If we fail again, will try your suggestion of resetting the router but would really rather just ask for an updated router from my provider in case I cause more problems!

Will get back to you when we have had chance to implement more of your suggestions.

***** *****s (Mrs)

You're welcome. For your computer, you can try this fix:

1. Close all AOL / Internet Explorer windows.
  2. Click Start , and then click Control Panel.
  3. Open Internet Options. Then click on Delete and delete only temporary internet files.
  4. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Reset.
  5. In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset.
  6. Then check.

On his laptop, go to Start, Control Panel, Programs, Programs and Features (or Add/remove programs), and uninstall the iTunes program(s) there

, then download and install the latest iTunes program again at the website below:

https://www.apple.com/uk/itunes/download/

Please take your time, and let me know if there is still any issue. Thank you,