Russell H.
Russell H., Computer System Tech
Experience:  11 years experience
13568747

I am importing text from excel to indesign which will allocate

Customer Question

I am importing text from excel to indesign which will allocate a random style to the excel text I import each time I update the excel data in Indesign. I tried everything. Can you help on this one?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

How the text comes out in Indesign, depends upon the process you are using to import the content from Excel (and also to some extent upon the version of Excel and of Indesign), and also presumably upon settings.
Are you using drag-and-drop, or select-and-then-a-menu-function ? or are you doing the task some other way?

It also may depend upon how you are 'updating the excel data in Indesign'. Please explain that part in more detail also.

I suggest looking in Excel Import Options in your Excel program.
Look for an option, probably not selected yet, titled
Remove Styles and Formatting [etc.]
and enable that option, then save the changed setting by clicking on OK.

But it might not be that option, or that option may not be present or findable easily in your version of Excel. The idea is, that without Excel's styles and formatting, Indesign's own styles will prevail over the inserted text.