Chris L.
Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Computer expert with over 10 years experience.
51029781

Can you reverse restoring your PC to its factory settings as

Customer Question

Can you reverse restoring your PC to its factory settings as I have lost all of my partners invoices, files etc and need to get these back, can I get them from the hard drive?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jerry Hannell replied 2 years ago.
***** *****nell :

hello sir/madam, I would like to help you, please let me know when you are ready

JACUSTOMER-ukj2alok- :

Please could I have my answer

***** *****nell :

hi, is your computer Windows 8?

***** *****nell :

(what is the operating system)

JACUSTOMER-ukj2alok- :

It is windows 7

***** *****nell :

if you want we can try remote assistance and fix the problem together quickly

***** *****nell :

your old files should be somewhere on the disk

JACUSTOMER-ukj2alok- :

I didn't back them up to a disk

***** *****nell :

during the restore process probably Windows saved them automatically on a local folder

JACUSTOMER-ukj2alok- :

I have checked all the folders and they are all empty, I just want to know if it is possible to undo the procedure

***** *****nell :

how did you start the restore process?

***** *****nell :

(from Windows?)

JACUSTOMER-ukj2alok- :

It asked if I wanted to restore the computer back to its factory settings so I clicked yes, it then asked me to back up files to a disk but I skipped this section. The whole computer has gone back to its original settings and all my partners invoices have been wiped. Is there anyway you can reverse this

JACUSTOMER-ukj2alok- :

There must be a way of recovering the files from the hard drive

***** *****nell :

there is no "undo factory restore" feature but using third party programs we can do it

JACUSTOMER-ukj2alok- :

How much would this cost?

JACUSTOMER-ukj2alok- :

That says US not UK

***** *****nell :

you can download it free and install

***** *****nell :

it is free

JACUSTOMER-ukj2alok- :

Will this definitely work?

***** *****nell :

there is no 100% guarantee

***** *****nell :

because your old files are still on the disk,

***** *****nell :

if another file was written on the same part of the disk (sector) your file cannot be recovered

***** *****nell :

it says US but it will work on any computer

JACUSTOMER-ukj2alok- :

Is there any way of getting the data from the hard drive this surely cannot of been wiped

***** *****nell :

were you able to install the recovery program?

***** *****nell :

(easeus)

JACUSTOMER-ukj2alok- :

Yes but it hasn't recovered any of the invoices

***** *****nell :

i am out of ideas, let me opt out and open this question to other experts, if no expert opts in back we can continue.

JACUSTOMER-ukj2alok- :

I want remote assistance

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** certified computer professional with over 10 years experience. I will be happy to help you.

The factory restore is an un-reversable process. There is no way you can get that data back I am sorry to say.

Now if the question is if, is it technically possible to recover the data then the answer would be possibly. But not recoverable by you or I or any standard tech.

However there are forensic laboratories out there who specialize in rebuilding data and custom equipment and tools that can restructure lost data on hard drives in some cases. Again there is no guarantee they can get it back but it's possible.

These are the types of companies governments and banks use to recover lost data on damaged drives or wiped drives for evidence in criminal cases. The process literally costs thousands of dollars.

The computer gave you the option to back up, since you said no it overwrote the section of the hard drive with an image. A hard drive image is like a picture of a current state of a hard drive a specific point in time. You chose to copy that image back on the drive. So as far as the drive is concerned that data you are missing never existed.

I have seen those software as well that claim to undo factory reset but I have no faith in them. People factory reset all the time and I am sure many forget to back up. So if there was a product out there that 100% worked it wouldn't be very hard to locate with a quick google search.

If you really need it back I would suggest you give a company like this a call and have a chat http://disklabs.com/contact

They could probably tell you over the phoine if they can get it back that way you don't spend more time looking around. I think you or anyone with standard available tools will not be able to get it back but a lab that specializes in recovery may be able to.

If you have a moment would you be so kind to please rate my service by clicking on one of the faces below, these are how I receive credit for my time helping. You can always return to this page to talk with me any time if you wish to continue the discussion.

Thanks,
Chris