Mike the Mac Medic
Mike the Mac Medic, Consultant
Experience:  Over 20 years experience with Apple/Windows desktop publishing, design, troubleshooting
25267123

I have a Macbook Pro with OS X Lion 10.7.5. It will not recognise/pic

I have a Macbook Pro with OS X Lion 10.7.5. It will not recognise/pick up the Iomega 1Tb external hard drive. Time Machine's last back up was 8 Oct 14 and reports "back up disc not available. Nor is the external drive recognised in Finder or Apple>About this Mac>More Info> Storage. How do I get Time Machine/Mac to recognise it again?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Mike the Mac Medic replied 2 years ago.
Mike the Mac Medic :

Restart the computer then immediately hold the Command key and the letter R key together until you see the Apple Logo. This will boot to the Recovery HD partition. When it boots you will see a window called Utilities, select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column and then select Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK in green type then select Repair Permissions. If all is ok then Verify Disk on the iomega and repair if necxessary.

Mike the Mac Medic :

Let me know.

Customer:

Thanks for coming back so quickly. Because of time pressures this pm I will not be able to try this till tomorrow.

Customer:

When you say "repair if necessary", what do you mean or will it be obvious what I should do?

Yes it will be obvious it will tell you, come back when ready
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have tried your suggestion. I ran the Disk Utility through to "Permission Verification Complete". But neither in the recovery mode nor in normal operation is the iomega drive seen. (If it is relevant, while running Repair etc no "OK in green type" appeared.)

Go to Apple Logo to About this Mac then More Info select USB on the left... on the right do you see the Iomega listed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, only the HD and Superdrive

OK in that case the enclosure has failed. It is possible the hard drive inside is still ok but you would need to get another hard drive enclosure or dock to find out. Like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-SuperSpeed-Docking-Station/dp/B0099TX7O4/ref=lp_160354011_1_7?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1414263457&sr=1-7