Bryan
Bryan, Computer Repairer
Experience:  Hardware/Software/Viruses/Malware/Spyware .. I can help you fix it all.
59162784

I have a whitelight My Book Model WDH1NC10000E which is connected

I have a whitelight My Book Model WDH1NC10000E which is connected to my Win7 workstation via my lan router. The problem is that the connection goes stale every 15-20mins.
The only way to fix this is to unplug the router. My network connections are reconnect and its good for another 20mins or so?
Can you assist?
I have given the WD HD a static IP but this has made no difference
Category: Computer
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Bryan :

My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.

Bryan :

If you leave the NAS disconnected from the router, does the router still need to be reset every 15-20 minutes?

Bryan :

Looks like you stepped away. Please let me know when you return.

Customer:

I am here

Bryan :

Ok

Bryan :

Did you see my question?

Customer:

I would not say it is a NAS, as its not connected via USB

Bryan :

NAS is Network Accessible Storage

Customer:

its connect via RJ45 (or type) as an external storage unit

Bryan :

It can be connected via USB, Ethernet, or anything else.

Customer:

okay ethernet connection

Bryan :

But anyway, if it is not connected to the router, does the router still need to be reset every 15-20 minutes?

Customer:

sorry but there is no problem as I understand with the router.

Customer:

the issue is with the NAS device

Bryan :

Ok. I'm trying to understand why you are resetting the router then.

Customer:

when I turn my PC on the NAS is not seen on the network

Customer:

Sorry my error

Customer:

I have to unplug the NAS device

Customer:

I was using incorrect terms

Customer:

my PC is switched on

Customer:

my PC can connect to the www

Bryan :

Ok. That makes more sense. No problem at all. Ok, give me just a minute. Let me see if there is an auto-sleep function on that device.

Customer:

but the mapped drives for the NAS which is connected to the router have a RED cross

Bryan :

Right

Customer:

on my windows explorer

Bryan :

One minute

Customer:

thanks

Customer:

This is a WD device

Customer:

Hi Bryan, I have already checked if this device has a sleep mode. I have reset it back to factory settings just to be sure.

Customer:

I am going to take the device back to the Manufacturer as I believe it is at fault.

Customer:

I was hoping you would be able to advise me on the setup and config of this device but you dont seem to know about this piece hardware.

Customer:

If you would not mind please submit me for a refund as I have not received any additional information to support my issue

Customer:

how would you like me to rate this ticket?

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Sorry about the timeout. I did find the drive and found many people are reporting the same issue. I am researching now for a fix.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
It looks like if you open the "WD Drive Manager", you should be able to disable "Sleep" so that the issue will stop. If you don't have "WD Drive Manager", you can find it on wd.com for free.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

In my last correspondence with you, I commented I have reset to factory defaults. But this has not been recorded??? in this session

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

okay I have tried to reply to this for the third time

I have reset the device to factory defaults. I still have the problem.

I think there is a problem with the device.I was hoping you would be able give me some support info on this?

I am going to take this back to the manufacturer

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

There is a problem with the drive model, not the drive itself. But if you install the software that I suggested above you should be able to disable the sleep function which will solve your problem.

You can find the software at:

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=0&level1=0&modelno=WDH1NC10000E&lang=en

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Bryan,

I have installed the Firmware update as you suggested manually.
I was not able to run the auto update option. I was getting connection refused.
I am also getting the time zone update: "refused connection".

Is this part reason why this device connection seems to go stale after about 20mins?

After the firmware update I selected factory defaults and updated manually the time + date stamp.

I am working a shift at this time and not done any further investigation on this.

When I get home tonight I will check if this connection has not gone stale and stopped and that the ext harddrive available.

Do you have any ideas why the device cannot communicate to the get the WD update or the TimeZone update pool.ntp.org?

Thanks Roger

Expert:  replied 2 years ago.
Verify that you can connect to the sites in question from your computer.
Bryan, Computer Repairer
Experience: Hardware/Software/Viruses/Malware/Spyware .. I can help you fix it all.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes I can connect to these sites.

This is how I manually did the update. See the attachment.

Attachment: 2014-11-01_114258_power_offon_the_wd_nas_device.docx

My concern is that there is a hardware issue as this device is not seen by my computer when it is switched on.
To access my NAS
1. power the computer on

2. recycle - power off/on the WD NAS device

3. open the WD Discovery tool - GUI and toggle the mapping tool utility until I see the mapped drives appear

This is frustrating as I am now trying to extract.the data from the box to another drive.