Russell H.
Russell H., Computer System Tech
Experience:  11 years experience
13568747

I would like to know if emails and sype messages are from the

Customer Question

I would like to know if emails and sype messages are from the person that is who he says he is. He has a yahoo email address but is ? in Afganistan. I have Googled this person he claims to be,and have found that he is a very important person in the US Military. To which I do know he can't be and I really don't believe that this person would would in any way be interested in me. I would also like to know how my email address and skyp information has been obtained. thank you looking forward to a reply.

Category: Computer
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

When dealing with questions of claimed identity online, one can only be fairly cautious and skeptical.

In dealing with a person one does not know the probity of (and, online, one cannot be sure at all), one should be cautious of any request. The 'Nigerian letter' scam, for instance, asks one for banking account information or credit card information, reputedly for a deposit, but actually to get money out of. So do not give up any information that might put you at risk, or do anything requested that might be risky in the least.

As for online accounts... there is no way to be quite sure of whose identity is behind them. There simply is no method of verification of identity online that I can think of at the moment, certainly not for a Yahoo! email address or a Skype address.
1. Verifying location does not verify identity
2. Verifying cannot be done by sent photos, though possibly by live transmissions of video images with sound... possibly. It sounds overtly elaborated to have someone else do the conversation and transmit the image/live video, but it could theoretically be done... nonetheless, live video chat by camera and microphone, two-way, might be a partial way of establishing identity... slowly... Do not immediately accede to requests even during or after such a session. Just think it over for awhile.

And once again: a good person never asks you to do something risky. Anyone who asks you to "Trust me" or to take a risk or do something extravagant or overly confident is not being a good person. Even if their identity has been established... which, online, is difficult to do.

I hope the above advice helps you with this matter. Two-way chat (or, 'messaging') sessions can be set up through Yahoo! I.M. (Instant Messaging) last I heard.

Let me know how it goes and what you think - I am concerned about this matter. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Russell for your help, and concern, I will keep you informed of any progress I manage to make, if any. Thank you again Jan Airey

Your good rating for my Answer is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for consulting JustAnswer.com, Janice.