Bryan
Bryan, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ years of professional support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.
12615041

I received an email from Australia, it turns out to be rubbish.

I received an email from Australia, it turns out to be rubbish. It has forwarded itself on to all my contacts. They have all received wierd emails from me. Can you help me stop it? Thank you.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Hi, and thank you for asking your question.

It looks like your email account has been compromised in some way; who's your email provider, e.g. Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, etc.?

Would you like me to set up a remote session (NO extra charge), which will allow me to connect directly to your screen and assist you quickly with this issue?

Keep me posted.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am afraid it is with AOL. Shall I just change my password? Let me know if you can do anything further remotely, or what the consequences might be if I just carry on.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, do set up a remote connection if you can help with this issue

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Certainly; I'll provide you with the directions on this page for now. If you face any issues while carrying out the steps, just let me know and I'll set up a remote session and assist you directly with the same.

Now, it does look like your account has been compromised, and the hackers are sending unsolicated spam emails from your account without your permission. To resolve this issue, you will just need to change your account's password ***** well as your security questions to keep the account secure from now on.

To change your password:

Sign in at https://myaccount.aol.com/. (If you forgot your password, just click Forgot password.)

Next, answer your Account Security Question.

Click Change Your Password in the General Account Information section.

Complete the form: Old Password, and New Password. Re-enter your new password ***** confirm.

Click Save to finish the process.

To change your Account Security Question:

Visit asq.aol.com and sign in with your AOL Username or Email and Password.

Enter the answer to your Account Security Question and click Continue.

Locate your Security Question and click Edit.

Select a question from the drop-down menu, enter your Answer, and click Save.

This should do it. If you need more help, please use the Reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service below.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks. I have done what you suggest there.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Okay, you should be good to go now - your account will remain safe from any further security threats from now on.

If you need more help, please use the Reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service below.