Bryan
Bryan, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ years of professional support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.
12615041

I got hacked and they took every thing off my hard drive. the

I got hacked and they took every thing off my hard drive. the only disk's I have for my Dell is Win 7 but I was running Win 8.1. How do I reinstall Win 8.1
Category: Computer
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Hi, and thank you for asking your question.

Did Windows 8 come pre-installed with your system? If so, could you let me know what's the make and model of your system, please?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dell Vostro 430a the Win 8.1 ID: 00178-11215-54673-AB389

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay. Are you still using the old hard drive now? If so, please hold down the CTRL key, then restart the system and tap the F11 key repeatedly at bootup (while still holding down the CTRL key.)

Does this bring up a recovery screen?

Keep me posted.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I took the old hard drive out as I didn't know if it was infected

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Hmm. In that case, we will need to order a set of recovery disks for your model and use it to restore the system back to factory defaults - which will reinstall Windows 8 as well.

Just to confirm, are you based in the UK?

Keep me posted.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do you want me to refit the old hard drive

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Yes, we may try that as well, i.e. try to carry out a system recovery using the recovery partition on the old hard drive.

After connecting the drive, what exactly comes up when you boot the system?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I can get the system to work but there is a program call serch donkey which I cant get rid of and I am worred that they can see what key strokes I am doing on line banking etc

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
I see, that's indeed a tracking/malicious piece of adware which can be easily removed, however. Just to clarify, you are able to boot into Windows 8 all right with the old drive?

If so, do you want to carry out a system recovery on that drive, which will restore it back to factory defaults?

Keep me posted.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay. Have you inserted the old drive now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes its in and running

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The old hard drive is in and the program is still showing in the uninstall program. By the way I am on my laptop

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay. Now, we will carry out a system reset which will restore the system back to original factory condition. To do this, please carry out the following steps:

P
oint to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.

Click Update and recovery, and then click Recovery.

Under Remove everything and reinstall Windows, click Get started.

Follow the instructions on the screen.

After the process is complete, your system will be restored back to factory defaults accordingly.

Hope this helps. If you need more help, please use the Reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service below.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry but it just says "Could not find the recovery environment insert your Windows installation or recovery media
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Hmm, okay. This indicates that the recovery partition is missing (or has not been installed.)

Now, since the system is working just fine and you just need to clear out the existing malware and other potential threats, would it suffice if I provide you with stepwise directions on clearing out the malware accordingly?

I can set up a remote session (for a nominal site fee) and do these steps for you as well. Do let me know. Thanks!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
At what price?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
There will be a nominal $20 fee for remote access. If you don't want this, however, I can provide you with the steps on this page as well. Do let me know how you would like to continue. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes please. Do it
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Please accept the additional service offer, and I'll provide you with the directions to connect remotely thereafter. Thanks!

Bryan, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: 8+ years of professional support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
All right, let's get started with the remote session now. Please open up the following link on the affected system:
http://tinyurl.com/fredericJA

Join the session, then an 'Elsinore Screen Connect' file will be downloaded.

OPEN/RUN the file from your downloads - and I'll be connected.

PS - If we are not connected in five minutes, please reply back to me below.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Hi, it looks like you are having some issues with connecting to the remote session. Did you open up the link and download/run the remote file as directed?

Keep me posted.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am on the site but cant see where to join session

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Hmm, let's use a different remote tool (trial) this time. Please open up the following link on the affected system:
http://tinyurl.com/azwl8gu

A 'TeamViewer' file will be downloaded.

OPEN/RUN the file from your downloads.

Keep the TeamViewer window open, and let me know the ID and password ***** by the tool, please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just opened on page no mention of TeamViewer

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
A TeamViewer file should have been automatically downloaded; are you using Internet Explorer as your browser?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ID ********* Pass 4892
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
The ID was crossed out (sorry about all the inconvenience!); could you type it up one more time, but this time including a single space between the digits?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
659-996-591
Pass 4892
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the remote session. I cleared out your system from any security threats and other unwanted programs/data that were present. The main culprit here was the Ammyy Admin remote app, which would allow unauthorized access to your system by a third party, and we got rid of that as well.

After the system reboots, your system will be completely safe from any type of threats/malware. Do let me know if there's anything else that I could assist you with. Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Many thanks Mr Rath.
If I need any more assistance I will come to you.
I am 1000 % impressed with you.