Michelle
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

Hello Can I simply plug in an external SSD drive to my Lenovo

Can I simply plug in an external SSD drive to my Lenovo S12 (intel atom CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz - 1.60GHz 0.99 GB ram.
It cannot be that simple, can it?
AH
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
Michelle :

Hi my name is ***** ***** i will be assisting you today.

Michelle :

what is the make and model number of the SSD drive you want to connect to your Lenovo Ideapad S12

Customer:

I hadn't got that far! Again I just assumed that I could find out which were compatible and of course at the same time find out what other changes I would have to make eg increase RAM although I do not know how much extra RAM could be added to this ideapad.

Michelle :

i will give you all the details i am going through the specification of your Lenovo S12

Michelle :

Max RAM Supported 2 GB

DDR2 SDRAM

667 MHz / PC2-5300

2 Slots for RAM

Michelle :

Hard drive Serial ATA-150

Michelle :

you can connect up to 1TB external SSD Drive on the usb port of the computer.

Michelle :

Let me know if you need any more information.

Customer:

Thanks for that, will the speed of the SSD be limited by the Lenovo and if so is there anything that can be done about that. Back to the question of the RAM, should that be maximised? One more question - is this worth doing or would it be better to simply change laptops. I have been told that while it might be possible to install Windows 7 on this machine ,which would certainly require all of the 2GB of RAM, it might actually be better to skip Windows 7 and go for Windows 8.

Michelle :

To be very honest the mini laptop Lenovo S12 has a Intel atom processor which was manufactured for cell phones however intel experimented on the mini laptops like Lenovo, Dell, Hp etc. however i have an Hp mini which is again limited to upgrade RAM and hard disk up to 360gb internal and 2 gb max memory so the best choice would be to go for a new laptop rather then upgrading as the price will almost come up close to a new laptop.

Michelle :

now we have intel core-i processors which is far beyond atom

Customer:

Thank you that is just what I was afraid of! I thought it was too simple an idea although now I know that it should be possible to use an external SSD on a better laptop.

Customer: