Pete
Pete, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

Hi. I'm Eddie in Ireland. I have a problem with my Samsung

Hi. I'm Eddie in Ireland. I have a problem with my Samsung GalaxyTablet2 10.1. It is working fine except for watching streamed programmes.
I am failing to play any streamed programme. I try to watch streamed programmes from Ireland's RTE 1 tv station. I open Google and type RTE Player. I get the option of choosing RTE Player or RTE PlayerXL.
When I try RTE Player I get all the proper responses and choice of programmes as far as the last prompt "click to view". The still picture of the selected programme remains still. I get a small text message at the bottom of the still picture - "running". If I press on "running" I get a small text on the top right of still picture - "Failed to post to your Facebook Timeline". I don't know how to deal with that problem.
When I try RTE PlayerXL the response is a bit more encouraging - the selected programme begins to play, starting with advertsements lasting a minute and the picture quality is excellent. At the end of the advertisements the screen stays blank for a minute or two and then returns to the Google page. What can I do?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Pete :

Hi Eddie,

Pete :

Try installing the RTE Player app, available from the Google Play store:

Pete :

Let me know if you can then stream RTE TV ok through the app.

Customer:

Hi Pete, sorry I was slow getting back to you and thanks for your suggested remedy so promptly. I installed the RTE Player as you said and it worked. I now have an excellent picture which starts up properly, and with an icon for easy access - but - the the screen runs for 70 seconds, then freezes for 20 seconds, runs for another 70 seconds and freezes again for another 20 seconds and continues this way to the end of the program. How can I rectify this?

Customer:

Also, I would like to increase the volume more than is possible by holding the 'increase volume button'. Can you make any suggestion? Of course the freezing problem is more important. Eddie.

Pete :

Hi Eddie,

Pete :

Glad to hear the app is (partly) working for you!

Pete :

The freezing problem may be due to your internet connection speed, or too many apps running on your tablet at the same time.

Pete :

Go to www.speedtest.net on the tablet and run a speed test. Let me know the results.

Customer:

Pete, thanks again for your contact and continued help. I closed any apps that were running. Then I opened a program on the RTE player. It ran for 80 seconds (previously 70) before freezing for the usual 20 seconds and continued with that pattern - run for 80 secs and freeze for 20 secs.

Customer:

I then ran the suggested speedtest. The results are as follows; Download 7.04Mbps, Upload 1.04 Mbps Ping 41. If your verdict is that i don't have enough speed I would be anxious to know if and how I can overcome that problem.Thanks. Eddie.

Pete :

Hi Eddie,
A download speed of 7Mbps should be more than sufficient.
However, I would suggest testing on a different network to be sure.

Customer:

Hi Pete, Thanks again. I tested the download speed on another network and got almost identical readings - upload 6.99 and download 0.39. I also cleared the cache in case the problem was connected with that but there was no improvement. We seem to be running out of options. It's a pity as the picture clarity is excellent. I am in Kilkenny city where eFibre has been rolled out but my location has not yet been included as my house is a lone house separated by a large parkland from the Efibre system. I am working on a wireless system from Eircom. Is there anything else that I can try? Eddie.

Pete :

Did you have the same problems streaming on the second network?

Pete :

One other thing I would suggest is testing another Galaxy Tablet on your network to see if it exhibits the same problems.

Customer:

Pete, thanks again for more help. I do have the same problem with other networks. As you suggested I am locating another tablet to see how that behaves. I think that more download speed is still the most likely problem. My server is Eircom. I contacted Eircom technical support to see if they could improve my download speed. I am not in eFibre territory. The technician was able to check out my modem from his location. He said they supply a more modern modem now. Eircom will

Customer:

despatch it to me tomorrow and I should have it in 2 or 3 days. That will be interesting. Could we keep this communication open for a few days until we see what comes from the new modem? I will respond when I have it in operation. In the meantime thanks for staying with my problem. Eddie.

Pete :

Hi Eddie, thanks for the update.

Pete :

Yes, we can keep this communication open for as long as you need.

Pete :

At the end, I would greatly appreciate it if you could take a moment to leave a high rating for my service on this page :)

Customer:

Thanks Pete, I appreciate all your help and am still confident that a solution will turn up. Either way I will be glad to leave a well deserved high rating for all your helpful service.

Pete :

Ok! :)

Customer:

Pete, success at last. I set up the new router/modem. Speed test was the same. I restored the Tablet settings to 'factory settings'. I downloaded RTE player through I Tunes (RTE instructions) and the problem is solved. The RTE streaming is working properly. Many thanks for all your support and help. I have pleasure in ticking a good rating below.and maybe will meet you again with a new problem. With thanks, Eddie.

Pete, Computer Enthusiast
Experience: Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.