Bryan
Bryan, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ years of professional support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.
12615041

I cannot receive and therefore not send any emails now. No

I cannot receive and therefore not send any emails now. No Internet connectivity either
Category: Computer
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Hi, and thank you for asking your question.

Are you using any email program, e.g. Outlook, Windows Live Mail, to access your emails? Also, are you unable to access the Internet from your browser as well?

Keep me posted.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

windows live mail. I can access both emails and internet on my laptop, it is just my Kindle that doesn't work

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay. Are you using a Kindle Paperwhite, or any other device?

Keep me posted.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Its a Kindle HD - Fire possibly? purchased 10/01/13 for £159 if that helps

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay, thank you for the clarification. Do you currently have the Kindle connected to your WIFI network?

If so, please press and hold the Power button for 20 seconds. Next, press the Power button one more time to reboot the Kindle.

Does this make any difference to your issue? Keep me posted.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've done that and it hasn't changed anything Th email screen just has that buffering thing going on and a message telling me it is unable to open server connection [Talktalk]. The little 'wireless' icon top r hand corner has a little cross on it . I have been playing freecell whilst waiting for responses and that keeps throwing up a message about 'an internet error occurred. to do with lack of connectivity. But it works on my laptop

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
I see. Now, please power off the Kindle first, then disconnect the power supply from your modem/router. Wait for 30 seconds, then re-connect the power supply to your modem/router and power the Kindle back on.

Does it still show the cross next to the wireless icon this time?

Keep me posted.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Done that still not working I do sometimes have to unplug router as my laptop does not receive emails either at times, I think it's to do with my location as others here have to also. kindle has come up with 'sign in' Do I wish to sign in? So I say OK, then get a BT page saying I am connected to a BT wi fi hotspot, and to put in BT id [usually email add] then password, but it doesn't accept the password. Don't forget I can receive emails and online stuff on my laptop, so seems to be some glitch on the Kindle

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Hmm, all right. Let's carry out a factory reset of the Kindle device now, which will restore it back to its original state when you first bought it. This will clear out all of your data on the device, so you will need to re-register the device with your Amazon account and re-download any purchased/downloaded content (from the Cloud.)

To carry out a factory reset, please do this:

Tap on the gear icon at the top-right corner of the screen.

Tap More > Device.

Tap Reset to Factory Defaults > Erase everything.

Your Kindle Fire will reboot, and display a message that confirms the reset process. When the Kindle Fire has finished resetting, it will reboot once again, and display the initial start-up screen.

After you have finished registering the device, connect the device to your WIFI network one more time and check if this resolves the issue all right.

Keep me posted. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

what's the 'gear' icon ? I only have the battery thing to tell you how much charge is left and the 'wireless' icon with the little cross on it nothing looks like a 'gear'

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
I have included a screenshot for you now, as follows:

graphic

If you are still unable to find that option, just reply back to me below.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
If you do not see the gear icon at the top-right, just swipe down from the top of the screen (where the time shows) - this should bring up the Settings menu. Carry out the rest of the steps accordingly.

Do keep me posted.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the settings menu comes from the circle with cross on it saying more. Right? Then settings gives options: help, my a/c, apps, parent controls, sounds, wireless. Which one?

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
After you swipe down to bring up Settings, do you see a Device option listed?

Keep me posted.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay, please tap Device, and then tap 'Reset to factory defaults'. Follow the on-screen directions accordingly.

Keep me posted.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK done that. It won't accept any password ***** put in

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Which password ***** for your Amazon account, or for your WIFI network?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've tried wifi one will now try amazon

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay. We should be able to reset the password ***** well, if needed. Keep me posted.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am going to cry in a minute amazon password ***** not work

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay; no issues. Could you let me know if it's prompting you for the password ***** your Amazon email account, or for something else?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it wants password ***** wi fi BTHub3-PM6J

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay. On the Hub router, you'll find the network name (SSID) and wireless key (password) on the Hub settings card on the back. This, and other information, is also displayed on a label underneath the Hub.

I have also attached a screenshot as follows:

graphic

If that password ***** not work as well, just reply back to me below.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK got thru BT hub stuff and got to 'register your kindle' . Have now got as far as 'Add Account' email address is OK Then need password ***** none of them work. How can I set up a new one. My books and games seem to be on the Kindle so it seems to be working other than email

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

Please accept my apologies for the slight delay. Now, had you signed up for an Amazon account earlier? If so, you may reset the password ***** your account following the directions in the given link:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/css/account/forgot-password/email.html

Done resetting the password, you should be able to sign in with the account and the new password ***** the device itself.

Keep me posted, please. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you very much for your help. I seem to be back on track now with it emails and can receive and send emails. You've been most helpful. Lets hope it's all OK tomorrow and I don't hav e to contact you again.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay, perfect! You may just rate my service by clicking on one of the smiley faces below. Thank you!