Randy Computer Tech
Randy Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer specialist
62741268

Hi I have got a Toshiba Laptop running windows 7 64-bit Model

Customer Question

Hi I have got a Toshiba Laptop running windows 7 64-bit Model L350-170 Model PSLD8E-00D008 SN:X8448848Q
I was wondering how to do a full software and hardware test that checks every single part inside and out of the laptop
Category: Computer
Expert:  Randy Computer Tech replied 2 years ago.
My name is Randy.
I will assist you.
Yes, Windows 7 includes built-in features to help you identify and diagnose problems with the system, memory, and software. You can run the Windows Memory Diagnostics utility by completing the following steps:a tool to check your system & systems hardware/programs/softwares and more, for any issues
Press Windows key+R

[IMG]

Then type perfmon /report and press Enter or Click OK (remember to put a space between perfmon & /)

[IMG]

Then it will generate a report, it will complete in 60 seconds.

Then you can view your results in great detail, Just use the drop down arrows to see your report in detail.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

The report includes a whole load of things here are just a few of them:

Diagnostic Results Warnings, Performance,
Software Configuration, OS Checks, Security Center Information, System Services, Startup Programs
Disk, Hot files, Disk breakdown, Physical disk, NTFS Performance
CPU, Process, Service, Services, System
Hardware Configuration; Disk Checks, Systems, Desktop Rating, BIOS, Devices
Memory, Processes, Counters
Network..
  1. .
    .
    .
    Please let me know if you need any other assistance.
    Please take a moment to rate my service positively.
    Thank you very much!
    .
    .
    .

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I made a copy of the test results using the test you send and .is there a way I can send those results to you as the reason I needed to do a hardware test was my cd/dvd drive has stopped working. I managed doing a test with Toshiba PC Diagnostic Tool and that said

CD/DVD DRIVE TEST (E:\) DONE FAIL

yes, you copy and paste them here.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

first report

Date 2014/11/09 17:30:41

[PC Information]
Model Name Satellite L350
Part Number PSLD8E-00D008EN
Serial Number X8448848Q
OS Version Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
BIOS Version 2.20
CPU Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T3200 @ 2.00GHz
Physical Memory 2048MB RAM
Hard Disk Capacity 0 [Byte] 0.000 [KB]
Hard Disk Free Space Capacity 203,006,820,352 [Byte] 189.065 [GB]
Video Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family version=8.15.10.2302
Screen Resolution 1440 x 900 Pixels
Color Quality True Color (32 Bit)
Sound High Definition Audio Device version=
Network Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller version= MAC Address=00:1E:33:73:C5:75
Modem TOSHIBA Software Modem version=
IDE Device 1 TOSHIBA MK2552GSX FW version=LV01
IDE Device 2 MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ880AS
IDE Device 3 None
IDE Device 4 None
IDE Device 5 None
IDE Device 6 None
Internet Explorer 9.11.9600.17358

EC/KBC Version "Ï"
PS-MICOM Version "Ï"

[QFE Information]

CD/DVD DRIVE TEST (E:\) DONE FAIL

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

wont let ne send second report as I get this message

• Your Message is too long. (Over 70,000 characters after formatting tags).

okay, we can try some things to get the drive working again. I just repaired a Windows 7 64 bit with that issue. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drive and it would still fail after the reinstall and reboot. I found that iTunes had disabled some settings in the registry. I uninstalled iTunes and rebooted and it worked. Lets try that first, go to control panel, then uninstall iTunes, then reboot and try the drive. Let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes I uninstalled and reinstalled any chance you remote connection and having a look also I need iTunes on this computer as I use it all the time

.yes, I can do a remote connection. Try this first uninstall iTunes and then reboot and check the drive to see if it works, if it does reinstall iTunes and try it again.
The one that I just repaired worked great after I ununsatlled iTunes and then reinstalled iTunes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't want to uninstall I tunes as I have over 4 thousand songs . but I found this online http://support.apple.com/en-gb/TS2308

I was wondering if you might be able to read it and remote connect and maybe try it Thank you

yes, I will be glad to. However ununstalling iTunes is the best option. You will not lose any files or songs. iTunes will reload all of your files after the reinstall.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok please try what I sent you first Thank you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

please forget my last message if you are 100% sure I wont loose any songs please can you remote connect and uninstall it and reinstall it Thank you

yes, I will be glad to try that method first also if you want. It may work as well as the uninstall. Either way I will get it working for you if it is not an hardware issue, then of course that will require physically installing a component.
I can do the remote session for you, however it will be an hour or so before I can do it. I want to be sure and have time to complete the process without interuptions and I will be available able to do that in about an hour to hour and a half., will that be okay?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok please remote connect ASAP and try what think you need to do that wont loose any songs at all

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

are you ready yet

yes, I am now.
Sorry for the delay, thank you very much for your patience!
Please click on the website below, then click on Agree/Join session, then allow the Elsinore / ScreenConnect remote program to run:
http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=8133c576-76b4-4642-b6ab-6bdc2bd903ee
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

running file now

.
.
.
.
.
Thank you very much!
.
.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Any chance i could get plans on removing the CD drive thank you

yes, I will get that for you.

>please click here for the instructions<

.
.
.
.
.

I have resolved this for you via remote screen share.
Thank you very much!
.
.
.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi thank you for your help I have managed to get the DVD drive out and have also ordered one. One other question how to I get to the fan to clean it as after 1 min of lap top being on there is a lot of heat pumping out of the side vent. I have tried sucking out dust from fan but I think I need to get to the fan
the hot air is normal, cleaning the vents around the fan on the laptop will be sufficient to keeep the extra dust from building up.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you but There was a LOT of dust in there and still is thst I can't get to
okay, this is the procedure to get to the fan>CLICK HERE<
this is a link for a video of cleaning the fan>CLICK HERE<
Here is a link for the exact model number of your laptop,however they are all very similar.http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/Toshiba-Satellite-L355D/laptop-disassembly-1.htm
I like the iFixit site instructions a little better than some of the others.