JoelK
JoelK, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I am an MIT graduate with a Master of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from UC Berkeley.
76287196

HiI want to set up an excel template that I can drop a workbook

Customer Question

I want to set up an excel template that I can drop a workbook into and it will simplify it.
The workbook has all the subjects pupils can sit for a level. But pupils only sit three/four of them. However the next pupil (row) will sit a different three than the previous one.
I wan excel to look across the row and pull the first non blank header and then return beside it the corresponding target grade and actual grade. Then look for the next non blank header and do the same thing
Category: Computer
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is***** will do whatever I can to answer your question

before I could say what can be done, it would be helpful to see an example of what you are looking to do.

Can you send an example file?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Attachment: 2014-11-09_234441_test.xls

I have highlighted in yellow on the spreadsheet what I am looking for

so basically you just want to have a summary report generated?

The best way to do this is with a macro.

The cost will be $49 + the original cost of this question

that is $49 will be added to the cost of this question. The $49 is the additional service fee based on the amount of time this will take.

do you agree?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Question not answered.
why did you relist, I wasn't done helping you yet.

I told you it would require a macro and what it would cost to do it.

Do you not want to continue?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

With all due respect I paid to get an answer to my question and not to answer questions or pay more money

very, well. I didn't mean any disrespect. I am just trying to make a decent wage for my time and experties.

I will open your question up to other experts, maybe you will find some who will help for a few pennies.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

a few pennies ??? I've paid £28

Expert:  JoelK replied 2 years ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem. Thank you for your question. My goal is to provide excellent customer service.

I am willing to write and debug the macro to do this job for the price you have already paid. When do you need it?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Joel,

As soon as you get a chance to get it done Joel.

Is it a difficult task?

Expert:  JoelK replied 2 years ago.
I've been studying the problem, and it cannot be done with a macro. It requires Visual Basic programming. I don't know Visual Basic. I can learn it, but it is going to take some time. Therefore, I really should opt out, so that you can have a chance to get someone else.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Joel,

Have you opened the question up to other experts again? It is currently showing as answered

It was suggested that a macro would not work, Actually it can only be done with a macro. There is no other way.

I am the formost expert on vba macros, on this site at this time.

However as I said before I would have to add an additional $49 to the question.

You are still welcome to wait for other experts if you wish, if you do want my help though let me know

Expert:  JoelK replied 2 years ago.

Dear Customer,

I have not opted out. I have made progress on my VBA program, and I now know that I can make it work using my approach, which is to take snippets of macros and paste them into my Visual Basic program.

My program will be a macro when it is finished, but the program control statements cannot be done by merely recording keystrokes. Perhaps this is what the self-proclaimed foremost expert on VBA means when he says that it can only be done by a macro.

Anyway, I can have it working for you this week. So stick with me, and it will not cost you anything extra. If the foremost expert is as good as he says he is, he could do the entire job in a few minutes; Consequently, in my opinion, additional charges would be excessive. There is a learning curve for me, but that will be its own reward.

I will keep you posted on my progress.

Best regards,