cvd4311
cvd4311, Computer Analyst
Experience:  I have a BA in CIT with over 14 years experience.
20109878

my friend had an e.mail sent to her, it was not from my email

my friend had an e.mail sent to her, it was not from my email address. she said she checked the I P address, and it says it comes from my computer, I never sent it, how can this be, no one else has access to my computer, any ideas.
Category: Computer
Expert:  cvd4311 replied 2 years ago.
cvd4311 :

It sounds like your email address has been hacked. Have you run malware on your computer? I would scan computer completely, once that is done change your password ***** your email address.

cvd4311 :

Also disconnect your wifi from your computer and it should reset your ip address to a different IP.

cvd4311 :

then reconnect it again so that it will reset.

cvd4311 :

Also change your security questions to your email address as an added precaution.

Customer:

I sort of get that, not computer literate, the message did not come from my email, but she says it came from my computer from a different email address, is this possible

cvd4311 :

yes if you have any other wireless items in your home that is connecting then that could be where it is coming from. it is easy to hack a wireless printer then your computer.

cvd4311 :

if you are not using the printer (wireless if you have it on), then disconnect when not in use. Also don't let your cell phone connect to your wifi in your house because it is easy to hack the cell phone.

cvd4311 :

if you disconnect your wifi from your computer then reconnect that will reset your ip address. also don't forgot the password ***** your email account and just in case change your security questions.

cvd4311 :

also run your malware for a full scan.

cvd4311 :

they all use your one ip address when they connect to your wifi.

Customer:

sorry still don't get it, done all the scan stuff, what I don't understand is, even if someone hacked into my computer, could they use a different e mail address from my computer, and how would they know my friends e mail address,

cvd4311 :

they can still hack into your email and get your contacts, that is how they did it. the best thing to do is to change everything (password ***** email, security questions).

cvd4311 :

it's not that they hacked into your computer it's that they hacked into email and obtained your ip address (maybe not from your computer but through another wireless device that is hooked to your wifi).