Scott L
Scott L, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  20+ years experience with PC hardware and software. Currently own and operate PC Service.
15046804

I have bought a M283 printer. I have installed it five or

I have bought a M283 printer. I have installed it five or six times. It shows up in Devices and Printer (Windows 7) but nothing will print. If I go to properties, I am told that the printer driver is not installed. If I try to install this using either the supplied CD or the driver I have downloaded from the Samsung website, I receive a message saying "argument invalid". I have tried rebooting, removing and reinstalling but it still won't print.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Scott L replied 2 years ago.
Scott L :

Hello and thank you for bringing your problem to Just Answer. I will be happy to assist with your problem. What I would like for you try first is the file you downloaded from Samsungs website. Go to that file and right click on it. An menu will come up and you need to left click on run as administrator. Hopefully that will resolve your issue.

Expert:  Scott L replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It didn't work. I still receive the message "the arguments are invalid" in the middle of installing. It appears to finish installing, but I cannot print.

Expert:  Scott L replied 2 years ago.

1. Go to Devices and Printers.

2. Click Add a Printer in the top toolbar on the Devices and Printers window.

3. Select Add a local printer.

4. If your printer is a USB printer, select port USB001. Otherwise, choose the appropriate port and continue.

5. At this point you should be able to click Have Disk and point Windows to the drivers you do want, the ones on the CD, for example. They should install without incident.

6. If you look at the Devices and Printers window now, you may have an icon indicating a faulty printer, and an icon indicating a working printer. Your printer is the one that doesn't work.

7. Right-click the faulty printer and select Update Drivers.

8. Tell Windows to search automatically. It will also search your computer and locate the drivers that you just installed successfully. If it asks you to choose a driver, choose the one that appears in a deeper directory.

9. The install process may begin all over again, but it should work this time.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've already done all that. I still get the same message. I see that your reply is taken from one of the many websites I have already looked at.

Expert:  Scott L replied 2 years ago.
It is standard troubleshooting for your issue. So your getting the Invalid Argument when you go through this process?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes.

Expert:  Scott L replied 2 years ago.
Have you checked your services to make sure the spooler service is running?
Expert:  Scott L replied 2 years ago.
You do this by typing services.msc in the search field in the Start Menu.
look for SPOOLSV. Look to see if it is running or disabled. If it is disabled double click on it and change Start Up Type to Automatic. Under Service status click Start button. Click Apply. Try to run the install again. If it still fails restart the computer and try again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have already done all those things. The spooler is running and is set to automatic. I have reinstalled (or tried to) at least four times.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm afraid it's my bedtime (GMT). I'll come back tomorrow.

Expert:  Scott L replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I will continue to research your issue and see what else we might be able to do.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I see that a very similar conversation took place 2 years ago http://www.justanswer.com/printers/73ehc-trying-install-samsung-ml-2165w-keep-getting.html and wasn't resolved then. In fact it ended in acrimony.

There must be an answer. It seems to be a common problem with many different printers..

Expert:  Scott L replied 2 years ago.
I sent you an offer to help you by remotely connecting and trying to resolve the issue for you. You only need to pay me if I am able to resolve the issue for you. I am more able to identify and fix the issue if I can get on the system and work the problem. Please consider this option, worse case is we don't get it working and you keep your money.
Scott L, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: 20+ years experience with PC hardware and software. Currently own and operate PC Service.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did click "no thanks" for the remote connect option, but on reflection I suppose it might help. I won't be available until about 19.00 GMT,

Expert:  Scott L replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I will be available at that time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK - I'm around.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm around for a while.

No progress. The only difference from yesterday is that the
"Arguments are invalid" notification no longer appears. I have tried
ensuring that the services running on my PC are, as far as possible,
exactly what is running on my laptop (on which the printer is
installed). I noted that InstallShield Licensing Service was off and
turned it on. No difference.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Maybe you need to send me something via this site, so that I can "accept".

Expert:  Scott L replied 2 years ago.
There should be an option for you on this page. If not I have scheduled a follow-up email that you should receive on Monday.
Expert:  Scott L replied 2 years ago.
Hey John,
Just checking in to make sure everything is still working ok. Thanks for to opportunity to assist you. I am happy we were able to get that stubborn printer installed :).

Thanks,
Scott Lewis
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am pleased to say that the printer is still working.