LKT
LKT, IT Support
Experience:  A+,CCNA, BS Network Communications
34552149

DMR EX77EB will not play from HDD or DVD (message on tv shows

DMR EX77EB will not play from HDD or DVD (message on tv shows "no video"). Machine has workd without problems since bought in August 2013.
Category: Computer
Expert:  LKT replied 2 years ago.
LKT :

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you with your question today.

LKT :

Can you tell me how you have the DVD player/recorder connected to the television? Is it HDMI?

Customer:

yes

LKT :

How many HDMI ports are on your tv?

Customer:

2

LKT :

Ok, can I have you do this. Power down your tv and dvd player. Unplug the HDMI cable from the tv and place it to the other HDMI port (the spare). Then power on your dvd and tv. Use the remote to change input to the HDMI port with the dvd connected.

Customer:

same response - blank screen, "no video" message

LKT :

Do the other inputs on the tv show any video?

Customer:

not surewhat you mean

Customer:

the tv works ok on its own, though

LKT :

On your tv remote is there an "input" button that scrolls through the various inputs on your tv

Customer:

yes, there are a whole series. I've just tried them all - all but 2 show a completely blank screen. The tv option shows the tv ok, the HDMI shows "no video"

LKT :

There are 2 hdmi inputs correct? Do they both show the same?

Customer:

correction - the HDM12 shows no video, the HDMI shows a blank screen

LKT :

Is the DVD player on?

Customer:

yes

LKT :

Ok, while its on HDMI INPUT disconnect the HDMI cable let me know if it does anything on the screen, then plug it back in.

Customer:

when I remove the cable, the "no video" message disappears, when I replace it it returns

LKT :

Ok, can you leave it in and power off and on the dvd player and see what happens. Make sure there is a dvd in the player.

Customer:

Nothing from you for a while - does this mean you've run out of suggestions?

LKT :

Did you get my last instruction?

LKT :

Customer:

In reply to your last message, I tried this earlier (the old "switch it off and wait for a bit" routine. Didn't work

LKT :

No, thats not my intent I want to see what happens to the screen when you do this.

Customer:

When I switched off the dvd, the tv reverted to channel 9. When I switched the dvd back on, the tv stayed at channel 9 thought the dvd showed channel 4

Customer:

Sorry "though" the dvd showed channel 4. Typo

LKT :

Ahh, I would have you to channel 4 on the tv, but thats and old way of connecting the dvd player. Usually you would need to do is change the input.

LKT :

How does it usually work for you? Do you usually change input or change to the matching channel?

Customer:

When I turn on the dvd it takes over the tv until I press exit on the remote or tun the dvd off.

LKT :

I see, go ahead and match those channel numbers. I don't think thatll fix it but lets give it a shot.

LKT :

Also, what inputs do you have?

LKT :

on the tv

Customer:

No, didn't fix it. I think the dvd player is u/s.

Customer:

I think I'm going to call a halt on this, sorry you couldn't help