arsufi2002
arsufi2002, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  MCSE, RHCE, IBM System X Server Certified
50085326

I've installed a 1TB Samsung Evo but when I choose AHCI the

Customer Question

I've installed a 1TB Samsung Evo but when I choose AHCI the computer won't boot and I have to revert to IDE. Magician is telling me that it cannot detect SATA interface details despite my computer having an ASUS M5A88-M, DDR3, SATA III - 6Gb/s, RAID SATA
Any Ideas
*****@******.***
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
Michelle :

Hi my name is ***** ***** i will be assisting you today.

Michelle :

is the cover open right now and do you have the hard drive installed

Michelle :

go to the bios and check for sata is enabled or not

Michelle :

this is an ssd drive correct

JACUSTOMER-77uh6ikj- :

When I go to the BIOS and enable AHCI in the SATA section the computer won't boot

JACUSTOMER-77uh6ikj- :

It is a Samsung EVO 1TB drive

Michelle :

have you installed the operating system on the hard drive using the AHCI mode

JACUSTOMER-77uh6ikj- :

I simply cloned the previous Hard Drive using the Samsung cloning programme

Michelle :

cloning will not help that is why its not booting on the AHCI mode this hard driver is not a normal sata drive this is an SSD har drive (solid state hard drive) this is a drive technology liek a flash drive which doesnt have media disks and motors.

Michelle :

enable AHCI mode and check if the hard drive is listed in the bios

Michelle :

save changes and exit

Michelle :

boo the computer using a windows 7 bootable disk and then try installing the os

Michelle :

1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD Solid State Drive Sata Laptop & Desktop MZ-7TE1T0BW 1 TB

JACUSTOMER-77uh6ikj- :

Is there a way of re-installing only the necessary part of Windows 7 over the existing ?

Michelle :

no it will erase everthing you have cloned

Michelle :

once you boot from the disk then it will format create partition and then install the os

JACUSTOMER-77uh6ikj- :

If the disc is showing in the BIOS and I enable AHCI surely it should boot. I did notice in the Device manager that there wasn't a mention of SATA

Michelle :

it should boot but there could be a problem in the boot files it may not have been cloned properly

Michelle :

what is the error you get when you try to boot from the hard disk

JACUSTOMER-77uh6ikj- :

It seems to try a lot of things but notes 'cannot find GRLDR

JACUSTOMER-77uh6ikj- :

Are you still there?

Michelle :

yes i am

Michelle :

what is the operating system you have cloned to the samsung ssd drive

Michelle :

is it ubuntu

JACUSTOMER-77uh6ikj- :

Windows 7

Michelle :

GRLDR is the file which is missing or has to be updated for MBR

Michelle :

mbr is master boot record

Michelle :

as i told you there is no problem with the drive its the cloning part which has not cloned the boot files correctly

JACUSTOMER-77uh6ikj- :

Can those files be downloaded or is there a Windows 7 repair facility?

Michelle :

connect the drive back to the original computer on which you have cloned the drive.

Michelle :

format the samsung drive from the source drive and make sure its formatted

Michelle :

after that re clone it and once completed try to boot the samsung ssd drive on the main computer to check if the drive is working on the originally clonned computer.

JACUSTOMER-77uh6ikj- :

I'm using the same computer. I cloned the drive using a USB to SATA lead then once cloned simply moved the SATA cables from the old HDD to the SSD

Michelle :

i am sorry but you have to reformat the ssd drive and then reclone it

JACUSTOMER-77uh6ikj- :

then I'll probably get the same result and lose almost 2 weeks of work in the process

JACUSTOMER-77uh6ikj- :

I don't believe I'm any further in resolving this issue and will just have to continue in IDE mode which is still faster than my old HDD but not as fast as it could be in AHCI

JACUSTOMER-77uh6ikj- :

Must now close this session as I must leave my office

JACUSTOMER-77uh6ikj- :

Goodbye

JACUSTOMER-77uh6ikj- :

Please close down so I can rate and leave

Michelle :

Thank you for providing us with an opportunity to assist you and thank you for choosing Justanswer.

Michelle :

Thank you for rating however i have told you the true fact and solution of the error you gave its the boot files error and to fix it you will have to reclone the drive from the original source.

Michelle :

i would appreciate if you would rate my answer to this question considering that in case of fixing boot files and that can only be done by formatting the ssd and then reclone it again.

Michelle :

if you need further assistance feel free to ask.

Michelle :

i have provided you professional and truthful information.

JACUSTOMER-77uh6ikj- :

It isn't a practical solution to my problem as I'm trying to run a business and the computer is in use continually.

Expert:  arsufi2002 replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** of the expert in computer category. I would like to assist you with your issue and would be your next active expert.

Before we work on this issue, i would like to ask some questions. Please answer it.

1: On which sata mode your old HDD worked? (ACHI / IDE)
2: What happens post to "cannot find GRLDR" message?
Do you get bluescreen or system restarts

Please reply..