Freddy M.
Freddy M., IT Technician
Experience:  Years of experience.
15852642

Hello, I have a brand-new Brother MFC-J6520DW printer (all

Customer Question

I have a brand-new Brother MFC-J6520DW printer (all in one scan/fax/printer)
Despite doing the 'test print', (and that being ok) it comes out very, very pale - nothing like
the document.
I'm printing straight from latest InDesign - and following all instructions!
Is there something I'm doing wrong?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
Michelle :

Hi, My name is ***** ***** i will be assisting you

Michelle :

please let me know the operating system installed on your computer

JACUSTOMER-jjf239ss- :

Hello Michelle,

Michelle :

JACUSTOMER-jjf239ss- :

Hello Michelle, I'm using Mac 0SX 10.93

Michelle :

if i understand the test prints are fine

Michelle :

problem is only with the prints of indesign

Michelle :

have you trued printing nay email for example

Michelle :

does that print fine

JACUSTOMER-jjf239ss- :

There is only one 'test print' which Brother printer runs. It comes back ok (lines in order, all colours printing, etc.) But when I have tried to print proper documents (InDesign and PDFs) the colour is very, very faint and pale.

Michelle :

would it be fine if i remote access and check the printer settings

JACUSTOMER-jjf239ss- :

No, I wouldn't be comfortable with that at all!

Michelle :

ok no problems

Michelle :

i was just asking as that ways i can see your screen and options and have a better idea of the settings

Michelle :

any how please click on apple menu..preferences...print and fax

JACUSTOMER-jjf239ss- :

I'd prefer you to talk through the options which I may be missing, or to point me in the direction of common printer setting issues. From what I have read on forums, Brother printers do have these issues. Hence why I am asking an expert!

Michelle :

double click on printer icon

JACUSTOMER-jjf239ss- :

ok, done

Michelle :

then check if you see an option for color management

JACUSTOMER-jjf239ss- :

It only shows ink 'levels'

JACUSTOMER-jjf239ss- :

Hello - are you still there?

Michelle :

yes..under the drop down that shows botheryou will see presets

Michelle :

click on teh arrow for drop down and let me know what options you get

JACUSTOMER-jjf239ss- :

It doesn't. There are only two menus -- 'Open Print queue' and 'Options and supplies.' Neither of these options offer anything else.

Michelle :

click on link above

Michelle :

you will see the picture for the print window

Michelle :

need to click on presets

Michelle :

let me know what options you have

JACUSTOMER-jjf239ss- :

Thanks for the link to Brother page, but I had this already. I'm going to have to go offline to do this. I've already been to the Brother trouble-shooting page, and read forum advice. The whole point of 'JustAnswer' was to get immediate advice from someone with a Brother printer!

Michelle :

since you were unable to find the presets option that is why i gave you that link

Michelle :

have you installed the software for the printer

JACUSTOMER-jjf239ss- :

Of course! As I said - it does print. It just prints too pale.

Michelle :

well it seems that you already have a perception about my expertise for this issue that i will not be able to provide a solution.

Michelle :

for your satisfaction i will opt out so that my fellow experts can share their advice on this issue

Michelle :

i am sorry if i have not been able to get you trust as an expert...i am not finished with teh solution yet but since you feel i am not qualified enoughi will opt out

Michelle :

allthe best

Michelle :

you will be notified via email once my fellow expert posts a solution

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.

Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
There is sometimes a nub on the cartridges it is normal for a small amount of ink to come out when you push there, just get any dried ink off this area.

Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
.