Jason Jones
Jason Jones, Computer Expert
Experience:  Over 10 years of professional experience.
30759776

I have a question in MS excel. The question relates to lookups.

I have a question in MS excel. The question relates to lookups. I have posed the question in the attached spreadsheet
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 2 years ago.
My name is Jason. I look forward to helping you today.
Please, upload the spreadsheet that you referred to. No such spreadsheet was uploaded.
Please, be forewarned that the site is not secure:
- Click the following link: http://www.wikisend.com
- Upload the file to that website
- Once it is uploaded, the resulting page will display a "File ID" number.
- Please, give me that "File ID Number"
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Attachment: 2014-12-02_091314_excel_question.xlsx

has this uploaded correctly?

It is uploaded.
I see the document, but I do not see any explanation of what needs to be done.
Please, describe what you wish to be done using this worksheet.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the question is in cell L24 and asks: how, when i enter a "ticker" from column A into cell I23, do i return a "list" of all tickers (ie fields in column a) which contain the same value as the ticker in column d, into column L?

I have read the description.
Where do you want the list to be displayed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ideally in column L but it does not really matter as this is just an illustrative spreadsheet

I am more confused now.
Please, read your description once more and look at the data.
Please, explain this task to me as if this is the first time I have seen this sheet and know absolutely nothing about it, as this is the situation.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you kindly, for the update.
I have this working for you now.
If you have any questions about the finished document, please let me know.
You can enter your choice of value into I23 or J23 and it will work.
Here is the working document: http://wikisend.com/download/799428/2014-12-02_095710_excel_question FIXED.xlsx
I look forward to your next message or your rating below.
To rate me, you can click one of the faces below and click Submit or click the Accept button.
If you ever wish to work with me in the future, you can ask your new questions and have them sent to me directly at the following page: www.JasonFixedit.com
Thank you again,
- Jason
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This is not quite what i wanted. Assume that my question is in another tab (ie cells I and J 23 are in sheet2). My vlookup returns "soft luxury". I want to then see a list of ALL values in column A which have soft luxury as their value in column D. The location of this list should be next to the answer to the vlookup question, and populated downwards. If this is not clear, please call +44 7557 360922

In that case, just change the values from I23 to SheetName!I23 and so on.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

let me try to explain what i am using this for. I enter a stock code - in this case RL US Equity. What i want to do is for a list of all stocks in the same sector to appear next to it. So cell K or L or whatever should be populated with every "soft luxury" stock - starting with 1913 HK (taken from cell A2 because in column D2 there is "soft luxury") and ending with LUX IM (taken from cell A23). please accept my apologues if i have not been clear

Hello again,
Please, upload a document that is ready for me to code.
If your document will use different sheets, then have this example document have different sheets.
I am more confused now.
Upload the document as you wish it to be. Perhaps, this will help me see what you want.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think I understand.
What relevance does entering the TICKER have?
I don't follow the ticker item.
In the example, you have RL US EQUITY chosen as the ticker, but I don't see how that matters at all.
You only wish to return the ticker values have the matching value in column D (Soft Luxury).
Please, explain.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

because i have a list of 5000 stocks which trade. i look them up using "tickers". when i enter a "ticker" the vlookup tells me which "sector" they belong to. The codeI am hoping for an answer to will then deliver me a list (of tickers) of all of the similar companies in the same sector

It sounds like either I am at a complete loss here or something is not being communicated. You mentioned "sector". I assume this has nothing to do with the current situation because it wasn't mentioned before.
In your example, you have the following values listed and state that they should be returned in the H Column:
1913 HK Equity
COH US Equity
KORS US Equity
RL US Equity
RMS FP Equity
MC FP Equity
CDI FP Equity
KER FP Equity
BRBY LN Equity
MUL LN Equity
BOSS GR Equity
SFER IM Equity
TOD IM Equity
BC IM Equity
MONC IM Equity
SFER IM Equity
TOD IM Equity
CHOO LN Equity
MSK IM Equity
BC IM Equity
MONC IM Equity
LUX IM Equity
As I understand it, you wish to simply get a list of tickers that match the value from Column D. So this time, the value is "Soft Luxury", which means that you wish to see the list of tickers that has "Soft Luxury" in the D column. That is all.
Is this correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

CORRECT

Thank you kindly.
I will have the working product posted in 10 minutes.
Thank you again for your patience.
When it comes to coding, as you may well know, it's all a matter of understanding.
Here is the working product: http://wikisend.com/download/717068/2014-12-02_110653_2014-12-02_095710_excel_question_fixed One more time.xlsx
After you edit the formula in the H column, if need be, press CTRL SHIFT ENTER to enter it correctly. You can then copy and paste the cell as far down as you wish.
If you need some help with this, please let me know. I can remote into your system quickly and show you how it works and/or ask any questions you may have regarding it.
If that works for you, please do not forget to rate my help.
Thank you for your time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you. this is just what i wanted. however i cannot get it to work when i paste it into my original document. would you have 5 mins to remote onto my machine when i return from a meeting in one hour? I will happily increase the fee because you have been working on this for so long (poor communication on my part)...

Yes, I can schedule that time for you.
I will be here standing by, awaiting your return.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i am back at my desk now

Please, click the following link and run the remote application: http://www.JasonFixedIt.com/excel
All is now working.
Thank you for your time and please, do not forget to rate my help below.
- Jason
Jason Jones, Computer Expert
Experience: Over 10 years of professional experience.