LKT
LKT, IT Support
Experience:  A+,CCNA, BS Network Communications
34552149

Unable to use T.V. "No Signal" messaage on screen. Handset

Unable to use T.V. "No Signal" messaage on screen. Handset inoperative. Powerline Adaptors power lights showing continuous red even though have swwitched on and off as reccommended. Have tried all advice in yoour leaflets, nothying seems to work. Your advice please.
R.S.Evans. ***********
Category: Computer
Expert:  LKT replied 2 years ago.
LKT :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you with your question today.

Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/computer-networking/8svnx-looking-network-engineer-broad-knowledge.html?src=pql&sso=1#ixzz3Kq7GnOT4

LKT :

Hello, I am sorry for that link you do not need to click on it, it was a accidental submission.

LKT :

For your TV, what kind of video source are you using?

LKT :

Also, on the remote for your tv, can I have you use the "Input" or "Source" button to flip through all the inputs/sources until you find one with picture.

LKT :

When you have a moment to chat, please let me know. Thanks.

Customer:

Ready to chat

LKT :

LKT :

What tv source are you usiing for your tv?

Customer:

Not sure of question. Talk talk is provider and it is a Samsung receiver. is that what you mean.?

LKT :

Yes. How does the talktalk/samsung receiver connect into your tv?

Customer:

Via powerline adaptor

LKT :

The powerline adapter is a network cable correct? Is there any other connections besides that connecting into your tv?

Customer:

JUST THE YOU VIEW BOX AND A DVD PLAYER (VERY RARELY USED. HAS BEEN CONNECTED FOR YEARS)

LKT :

Did you go through all the inputs yet to see if any have picture? Anything change since it stopped working?

Customer:

Nothing changed. Early on had BBC 1 but cant get that now. Both power adapters (computer and TV) are shawing red power led. Handset still not operative

LKT :

You've already disconnected all cables going to the both sides of the power line then unplugging both sides from power?

Customer:

have unplugged nothing, everything is still connected.

LKT :

Can I have you try that for me please? Disconnect both sides of the powerline, remove all cables going into them. Then plug in the powerline that connects directly to your router, wait 30 seconds and plug in the other side and cable it back up.

Customer:

o. k. bear with me. do you mean power going to t.v only or compuyter also. sorry to be so slow.

LKT :

Not a problem.

LKT :

You said you have a powerline adapter correct?

Customer:

yes 2 one for tv ane one for computer

LKT :

Ok, disconnect those from the wall, and remove the cables going to them (make sure you'll remember where to plug them back into)

Customer:

o.k. done

LKT :

Alright now go ahead and plug in the powerline adapter for the computer side. Wait a minute then plug in the tv side.

Customer:

Where has LKT gone?

LKT :

I am here

Customer:

Have done as you asked but red lights still on

LKT :

Alright, could you describe how the everything is connected. How I imagine it currently:

Router --- Powerline ------ Powerline ----- Samsung Receiver ------ TV

Is that correct?

LKT :

I am not sure if you received my last message, if there is a problem with the chat feature I can switch to QA mode. Let me know if you are getting my messages otherwise I will change to QA for the remainder of the question.

Customer:

last message received was remove power lines did so but no difference

LKT :

Ahh, ok. Did you get this?

LKT :

Is that correct?

Customer:

Yes. Removed power to both power adapters your messages are being received ok

LKT :

Ok, so what is that cable that connects your samsung receiver to you tv? What type of cable is it? Can I have you go and turn off the Samsung, unplug from wall and turn off tv, then make sure the cable from the samsung to the tv is secure. Then plug the samsung back in and power up and finally turn on the tv to test.

Customer:

nothing doing. still red lights. by the way samsung is my t.v. still saying no signal

LKT :

There is no separate samsung receiver? Is there a talktalk box that connect to your tv?

Customer:

yes. when I referred to samsung earlier I meant the t.v.

LKT :

Oh ok, so the powerline connects into your talktalk box? Go ahead and disconnect that and make sure its connection is secured to the tv, restart the tv and turn the talktalk box back in. Also, what cable connects your talktalk box to your tv?

Customer:

hdmi cable box to tv. do you mean disconnect power input to box but leave box attached to tv

LKT :

yes, remove the power check the connection between the box and the tv. Plug the hdmi box back into power and turn it back on.

Customer:

Again no difference.

LKT :

Do you have the remote of the tv? Can you make sure its input is set to HDMI ?

Customer:

Since the last operation my tv now is tuning up channels. remote still not working. How do I* aset it to HDMI? No indication on it

LKT :

There should be a button on the tv itself that says "input" or "source" try looking for that if the remote isn't working for you.

LKT :

What its sounds like is a bad box since you get no signal from the box and the powerline is not getting a connection. Does talktalk supply this box to you, I think you will need a replacement here. The two symptoms here is the powerline not getting connection and the tv telling you there is no signal from the box.

Customer:

TV still tuning channels. only 50% complete seems like a further wait. Sorry about that

LKT :

No problem.

LKT :

Has the tuning completed?