LKT
LKT, IT Support
Experience:  A+,CCNA, BS Network Communications
34552149

On my wife's HP computer (Windows 8.1 Update), on which Google

Customer Question

On my wife's HP computer (Windows 8.1 Update), on which Google Chrome was installed months ago and has been working quite satisfactorily, suddenly, this afternoon, the following message appears every time she tries to launch it:
"C:\Program Files(x86) Google\Chrome\Application\Chrome.exe
Class not registered"
This means that she cannot get onto the internet at all, which is why I am contacting you on my machine. Please can you tell us what to do.
Category: Computer
Expert:  LKT replied 2 years ago.
LKT :

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you with your question today.

LKT :

LKT :

Can I have you do the following on your wife's computer, please?

1. Go to the Windows folder "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome"

2. Rename "User Data" to "User Data_backup"

3. Start Chrome

JACUSTOMER-f0i454hc- :

what do you want me to do?

LKT :

For number 1 you can also navigate to C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome

Where the username is the computer username that your wife uses

JACUSTOMER-f0i454hc- :

How do I go to the Windows folder from the desk top?

LKT :

Press the windows button, type "file explorer" and press enter

JACUSTOMER-f0i454hc- :

If I tright click on Start, where do I go after that?

LKT :

Do you see a down arrow on your main screen? Click that and navigate to "File Explorer" or you can simply start typing "File Explorer"

JACUSTOMER-f0i454hc- :

OK i've got to File explorer now what do i do?

LKT :

Copy and paste this into the top browser bar: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome

LKT :

Or you can manually navigate here: C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome

JACUSTOMER-f0i454hc- :

It just says This PC>Windows(C:) in the top browser bar and won't accept anything else

LKT :

Ok, what screen do you have right now on the file explorer?

JACUSTOMER-f0i454hc- :

The one with Favourites, etc listed down the left hand side

LKT :

And in the center?

JACUSTOMER-f0i454hc- :

AMD

JACUSTOMER-f0i454hc- :

AMD, inetpub,Perflogs, etc

LKT :

Hmm, ok. Can you press the Windows key and open up "Internet Explorer" or start typing it in if you don't see it.

JACUSTOMER-f0i454hc- :

I have now pressed the Windows key and have 108 items in front of me

LKT :

Thats alot, can you start typing "Internet Explorer" it should filter all those until only internet explorer is there

LKT :

Do you have any other browser besides chrome currently on your desktop?

JACUSTOMER-f0i454hc- :

I'm not sure where to type Internet Explorer

LKT :

Just start typing. In Windows 8, when you press the windows key you can just start typing to start filtering.

JACUSTOMER-f0i454hc- :

This all seems very laborious. The last time I had a problem, you dealt with it by taking control of my machine and doing it at your end. Could we do that now?

LKT :

We could, but you are not on the machine with the problem, correct?

JACUSTOMER-f0i454hc- :

No, I have brought my machine alongside my wife's

LKT :

Do you have Windows 8.1 as well?

JACUSTOMER-f0i454hc- :

Yes, both machines are set up identically

LKT :

Ok, I can remote into yours and you can do what I show you on your wifes? Does that sound easier?

JACUSTOMER-f0i454hc- :

Yes it does!

LKT :

Ok, open this link and give me the 9 digit code and password ***** log into your machine:

http://tinyurl.com/azwl8gu

LKT :

Were you able to open the application?

LKT :

Leave a message when you are ready to proceed, please.

Expert:  LKT replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  LKT replied 1 year ago.
Penelope, I have not heard back from you after attempting to have you do a remote connection. How did everything go? Do you still need me to remote into your computer to help fix your chrome issue? Please use the box below to reply and I will be happy to help. Thanks.