Viet - Computer Tech
Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer software and hardware support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac.
30037186

Whenever I try to update windows to the latest version, I get

Customer Question

Whenever I try to update windows to the latest version, I get the message "Failure configuring windows updates - undoing changes - Do not turn off your computer". After some time it then reverts to normal, presumably without the updates. What can I do?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 2 years ago.

Hello John! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed computer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

I'm sorry about the issue. Do you have windows xp, vista, or 7, or 8?

Can we do a remote support session, so we can chat, and I will be able to help you directly?

When you are available, please reply back at the box below to continue. Thank you,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Vet. I am running Windows 8.1 on a Samsung laptop and yes we can do a remote report session. If you need my telephone number, it is 01256 353967. regards John.

Hi John,

I'm sorry, I was not available when you replied back. We have live online support. I can connect remotely to your computer and fix the issue for you; we can schedule a time. And/or if you'd like to, you can try the following fix(es):

- Please try this first:

1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
    (If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, and then click Search.)

2. Enter Control Panel in the search box, and tap or click Control Panel.

3. Enter Recovery in the Control Panel search box, and then tap or click Recovery.

4. Tap or click Open System Restore, and then follow the instructions to restore the computer to any date before this issue has occurred.

, then try windows update. When installing update, click on the option "important updates are available", then select just one or a couple of updates, then install it; this way, we can check if a particular update has issue.

- If that does not work, please download and run the automatic Windows Update Troubleshooter at
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/troubleshoot-problems-installing-updates
, then try installing one update and check
; if needed, restart the computer, then try install a different update and check.

More troubleshooting:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358/en-us

Please let me know. Thank you.