s4sys
s4sys, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Bachelors in computer science engineering & 3+ years experience in System\Network support
27774087

Apple iPhone 5s water damage Turns on shows iTunes logo

Customer Question

Apple iPhone 5s water damage
Turns on shows iTunes logo and charging cord it does eventually go and turn on properly. Can I prevent this from happening and will phone die?
Category: Computer
Expert:  s4sys replied 2 years ago.
Hi Thanks for using Justanswer.
Please follow the below steps and solve this.
Connect the USB cable that came with your iPhone to your computer, but not to your iPhone.
Turn your iPhone off. If the phone won't turn off in the traditional manner, just keep holding the buttons until the screen goes dark.
Once you've turned the device off, press the home button on the face of the device and plug in the USB cable to the device's dock connector.
When it turns on, keep pressing the home button until the iTunes logo appears on the screen.
You'll know the phone is now in recovery mode because a window in iTunes will tell you.
You can then start the restore process by clicking the Restore button in the iTunes window.
If this answer is helpful don't forget to accept this answer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This is not helpful I amafraid. Tried to do as mentioned above but the iTunes logo does not open up any other messages. Been able to use phone for last few days in modified way and had to use the screen touch version of the home button as that like many apps features are not working and none of the advice sadly helps me toget the phone to now open up.
Expert:  s4sys replied 2 years ago.

Is that iphone able to sync with laptop ?

are you not able to go through the recovery mode?

Expert:  s4sys replied 2 years ago.
Switch ON your device.
Now, open iTunes and connect your device using a USB cable.
Next, press and hold the Home + Power buttons together for 10 seconds exactly and then release the Power button.
Lastly, continue holding the Home button until iTunes detects your device in recovery mode.
Now, restore.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your advice. In the few days when I got the phone to work but before I tried charging my phone for the third time the home button did not work. I manually set the home button to appear on the screen. Probably why your advice has not worked at all for me. I had tried resetting the phone as a last resort before hoping someone could suggest other ways of resuscitation! Any way around escaping the home button to move past I tune logo Screen?

Expert:  s4sys replied 2 years ago.
Fix 1: Calibrate Your iPhone
The very first thing you should try with your iPhone is calibration. It's the fastest and easiest method for fixing your Home button, though, it won't work for everyone. Just open up one of the native iPhone apps, like Weather or Clock, and follow these steps.
Press and hold the sleep button until the slide to power off swipe bar appears, then release the button.
Image via whited00r.com
Now, press and hold the Home button until the phone returns to the home screen.
That's it. Two steps. If it worked for you, cool, it was probably due to an app not loading or closing properly. If you never even made it past the second step, then you've got some more possible fixes to try out...
Fix 2: Realign Your iPhone's Connector
How long have you had your iPhone for? A while probably, and you've more than likely charged it every single day since you got it. So, it's quite possible that you might have inadvertently shifted some things out of place plugging and unplugging that 30-pin connecter everyday.
Since the Home button is directly above the connector port, it's common for the 30-pin connector to knock the home button out of alignment.
To remedy this, simply plug the connector into your iPhone and push down gently on the connector, which will force the Home button upward. As you're pushing the connector, press the Home button and see if that solved your problem. If so, cool. No? Try this...
Fix 3: Restore Your iPhone
Restoring your iPhone is the most common fix for your Home button lag. Just make sure to back up all of your data in iTunes before you restore your device.
To restore your iOS software, connect your iPhone to iTunes and select it under Devices. Find the Summary tab, then click Restore.
Image via apple.com
You can find more details and tips on Apple's support page.
Fix 4: Clean Your Home Button
Like anything, after a ton of use, the iPhone's Home button can get dirty, causing it to lose it functionality. Lint from your pocket or old Cheetos dust can find its way into the small crevice encircling the home button.
In order to clean this out properly you want to use isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol and a cotton swab. Put a few droplets of alcohol directly on the Home button and push down on it using the cotton swab. Wait a few minutes and then check to see if that fixed the problem.
Fix 5: Twist and Spin
I found this method on a bunch of Mac forums, but never tried it out. While I cannot promise you that this will do the trick, it never hurts to try. Simply place your iPhone on its back, hold the Home button down firmly, and then twist the phone clockwise.
If you have a case, you will probably want to remove it to allow for easier rotating. Why would such a thing work? I have no idea. But if you want your Home button to work again, it's worth a try.
Faux Fix: On-Screen Home Button
If all of these other methods fail and your Home button simply does not function, you always have the option to enable the on-screen Home button. Go to Settings -> General -> Accessibility -> Assistive Touch.
Turn on Assistive Touch and a small circle will appear on the screen. From there you can control volume, Siri, screen lock, and add favorites as well.
Fix 6: Replace Your Home Button
For the those of you who like a challenge, you can try and replace the iPhone Home button on your own. The process is tedious and very difficult, so it's best to do this as a last resort.
Image via ifixit.net
Find the full list of tools and instructions on iFixit.
Alternative Fix: Your Jailbreak Options
For any jailbroken iPhone, there are infinitely more options for all of the phones functions. With the availability of so many different apps and tweaks available in the Cydia store, jailbreakers can pretty much render their iPhone's home button obsolete.
Here is a list of apps that allow you to change the settings of the buttons on your iPhone and enable new multitask gestures which can replace and replicate the use of the home button.
Zephyr
Activator
iHome
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Tried all your suggestions and nothing has happened or changed. The phone was two weeks old when this happened so probably it is not going to happen. ūüėŅ

Expert:  s4sys replied 2 years ago.
You have to change your home button manually or you have to repair it in apple show room