s4sys
s4sys, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Bachelors in computer science engineering & 3+ years experience in System\Network support
27774087

Up till recently we could search for any email going back several

Customer Question

Up till recently we could search for any email going back several years just by typing a key word in the box at the top left of the aol page, Suddenly only emails going back to the 9th december are shown. Any way we can get it back as it was? Thanks
Category: Computer
Expert:  s4sys replied 2 years ago.
s4sys :

Hi Thank for using justanswer.

s4sys :

Please check the below link and follow the steps..

s4sys :

If the email was accidentally deleted from your inbox, you might be able to recover it from the Trashfolder.

To check the Trash folder:

1. In the left panel, click the Trash folder.

2. Determine whether the message that you're looking for is in this folder.

3. If you find the email in your Trash folder you can still restore it. Click the box next to the email, click the Action drop-down menu, and then under "Move To", click where you'd like to move the message to.

Check the Saved Mail folder

The email may have been saved in the Saved Mail folder.

To check the Saved Mail folder:

1. In the left panel, click My Folders.

2. Click the Saved Mail folder.

3. Check if the missing email is in this folder.

Check the Spam Folder

The email may have been accidentally diverted to your Spam folder.

To check the Spam folder:

1. In the left panel, click Spam.

2. Determine whether the email that you're looking for is in this folder. If you find the email in the Spam folder and would like to move it to your Inbox, check the box next to the message, and then above your list of messages, click OK NOT SPAM.

Note: When you click OK NOT SPAM, the email will return to your Inbox and will be listed by the date that it was originally received.

Check the Spam Controls settings

If the email that you're looking for is not in the spam folder, it might have been deleted because of yourSpam Control settings.

To check the Spam Control settings:

1. In the upper right, under your Username, click Options and then click Settings.

2. In the left panel, click Spam Settings.

3. In the Spam Filter section, click the drop-down menu, and then select Medium.

4. In the Blocked Mail section, select the Deliver blocked mail to Spam folder option, and then clickSave Settings.

Delete incoming mail filter

An incoming mail filter could be delivering messages to a particular folder instead of your inbox.

To delete an incoming mail filter:

2. In the left panel, click Filters and Alerts.

3. Move your pointer over the filter that you'd like to delete and click the white X in the box to the right ofEdit.

4. At the bottom of your screen you'll see a confirmation that the filter has been deleted. Delete the wrong filter? No problem. Click the Undo link on the right to restore the filter.

s4sys :

If this answer is helpful don't forget to accept this, then only I get paid.

JACUSTOMER-ku5fktow- :

This is not the question I asked. The search button only retrieves emails for about a week whereas it used to go back for years. Can you help. Thanks

s4sys :

ok

s4sys :

Have you changed the search criteria ?

s4sys :

tried or not ?

JACUSTOMER-ku5fktow- :

Only clue is I think the day in question ie where the emails go back to using the search button is the day (or near then) when I joined linkedin. The emails are all still there, its just you have to look the hard way. Thanks

s4sys :

Please delete some of your archive mails .

s4sys :

Also please check how many mails are in archive folder ..

s4sys :

Reduce the size of the mail in archive , this will solve your issue.

JACUSTOMER-ku5fktow- :

about 26000. In the old emails it doesnt say how many

s4sys :

please delete some of the old mails,the disk space got increased .

s4sys :

Thats why it's not taking the search properly

s4sys :

please delete some of your mails and try for a new search .Let me know

JACUSTOMER-ku5fktow- :

Its the same on this or any other computer. The emails get retrieved only from Dec 9th as if someone pulled a plug that day!

s4sys :

Try to get reduce the archive folder then it will solved.

s4sys :

delete 100 mails at least and try ..

JACUSTOMER-ku5fktow- :

Which one do you call the archive folder? Old Emails? We have about 10 other folders with not so many in. I always wish aol had a file manager so that you could file things properly

s4sys :

old mails I am saying..

s4sys :

where you are searching In inbox only right ?

JACUSTOMER-ku5fktow- :

As it was when you put a word in search it would bring up all emails, old, new and from folders.

s4sys :

yeah right, for that you have to reduce your disk space . Please try to delete some of the mails and let me know

JACUSTOMER-ku5fktow- :

I've deleted some but whatever word you put in 'search' the emails are only retrieved till dec 9th. Nothing to do with linkedin?

s4sys :

how much you deleted , can move some of the mails to another folder ?

JACUSTOMER-ku5fktow- :

Ive deleted about 200 and moved some to a folder called Old Emails. Still dec 9th. Sure its not linkedin? bit of a coincidence

s4sys :

not because of linkedin , its your mail space got increased thats why

JACUSTOMER-ku5fktow- :

Its put itself right all of a sudden.

JACUSTOMER-ku5fktow- :

JACUSTOMER-ku5fktow- :

Aol put itself right

JACUSTOMER-ku5fktow- :

s4sys :

Ok

s4sys :

Happy to know that your problem got solved.

JACUSTOMER-ku5fktow- :

Weird, but ok now thanks

s4sys, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Bachelors in computer science engineering & 3+ years experience in System\Network support
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Aol put itself right suddenly. Not sure if it was due to taking off emails or not. Apparently it has done this before and put itself right. We will never know!

Expert:  s4sys replied 2 years ago.
Its because of size of the email folders is big.