Kamil Anwar
Kamil Anwar, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.
69350257

When my friend sends me an email from a Hotmail address I receive

Customer Question

When my friend sends me an email from a Hotmail address I receive it with no problem.
When I send my answer to the same friend he doesn't get my email return using either Reply or Forward or even a new email. All other people in my address book have no problem receiving.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Kamil Anwar replied 2 years ago.
& Welcome to JustAnswer.
From the description; i beleive there is no issue with your e-mail account but his.
Can you ask him to add your e-mail to safe senders list and also check junk?
Once he has added your e-mail to safe senders list, please test again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Kamil,

That's what I suspect is happening, he's not on the phone but perhaps I can get another friend to pass on the message - so can I get back to you?

Yes, you can get back to me by opening email from JustAnswer and clicking "view response".
Also, make sure he check his mail options senders, and ensure that you're email is not blocked.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Kamil,

I would say this is a difficult problem trying to tell someone else how to check their blocked senders list and safe senders list when I can't speak to him because he does not have a phone.

I use Windows Vista which I think will have a different format regarding: Tools - Options - Preferences - Junk E mail etc... He may be using Windows 7 or some other set up and the walk through to his similar menu options could be in an entirely different part of his computer. ... any other ideas?

To get clear steps, we would need to know how they're accessing their emails.
- webmail, by going to www.hotmail.com
- or an e-mail client?
Did you meet this friend on a dating site? I'm asking this because there are scams of this type too where you have to pay a site to send/receive message.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

kamil,

This friend is an 89 year old man who writes books and I remember he felt angry when Hotmail moved to Outlook and his email system fell apart about a year or so ago.

Once he got his email working by a computer advisor he has had no problems at all, he emailed me two weeks ago to ask why I had stopped writing to him.

I don't know if this may be another variable now that I think about it, during the recent 'Black Friday' involving 'Amazon' and it's subsequent 'meltdown', I suspected that my Browser (Internet Explorer 9) may have been slowing down, a friend gave me a tip which he apparently fixed on his laptop by unticking boxes in this field.......

How to set:

CONTROL PANEL - SYSTEM AMD MAINTENANCE - DEVICE MANAGER - Device Manager - Network Adaptors

802.11 n/g/b Wireless LAN USB Adapter

Intel(R) 82562v-2 10/100 Network Connection

Click 802.11 n/g/b Wireless LAN USB Adapter Menu opens up

Click Power Management Tab and un-tick (Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power)

Click

Under Power Management Tab reduce power if cable disconnected not ticked

Reduce ink speed during standby - Ticked

Wake on link settings - Not Ticked

Wake on Magic Packet - Ticked

Wake on Directed Packet - Wake on Magic Packet Ticked

This was a power problem, I unticked the same boxes and now my browser is up to speed. I wouldn't have thaught it would've affected Emails though.

This doesn't effects emails, I've never heard of this method to speed up browser. I normally recommend resetting browser when it is slow. There are no problems with your e-mail, i can confirm that . There is something wrong with his e-mail, can you write him an e-mail from another address and ask him how is he accessing his e-mails?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK Kamil, I'll try and do just that and get back to you Thank-You.

Thanks - looking forward to your response.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Kamil,

I think we can call the hounds off. I managed to get through to my friend using another friend of his as a link. I received this email from him tonight and I think the first paragraph says it all :-

My family bought me a new PC, the old one now being nine years old. It makes me just a bit fearful when I hear them saying "at that kind of age Dad, things start to go wrong - better get rid of it and save all kinds of time-consuming expense".

Now, you think that's nice and kind of them, do you? I'll soon be ten times that age, do you suppose they're beginning to do their sums on me?

This new gadget must be terriic and I just hope I can last out to see just how good it might be. The trouble is that it is 'Windows 8' and all I want is 'the Web', an e.mail capacity and 'Word'. I understand this machine will take the dog walk, warm your slippers and talk back if someone gets cheeky.

I am now awaiting the return of the boffin who looks after Doug's office gear. He is currently in New York and, apparently, he will put everything right. Meantime I am struggling and I will try forwarding this to Sinclair in hope that he will be kind in his thoughts. One other trouble is that Sinclair is eons ahead of me when it comes to IT techniques. I am not far out of scratching my little blackboard at Elder Park School back in the early 30's. in Glasgow HELP!

A Guid New Year tae ye all.

Jim.

He is right that Windows 8 is totally changed then the previous windows and many users are finding it difficult to learn the basic things on it. He can use a simple e-mail client like Thunderbird, which will sit on his desktop and make it easier to send/receive e-mails.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks again Kamil. Do you require any other reference?

You're Welcome. If you want any further assistance on this feel free to reply here.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

again Kamil,

Remember back at 28Th December you asked me the question:-

- webmail, by going to www.hotmail.com
- or an e-mail client?

It has just occurred to me that I contact my friend - Who uses Hotmail.com using Webmail and I use a stand alone Desktop client using Outlook 2003 i.e.*****@******.*** and using Pop3.ntlworld.com

I also have a backup Outlook account using webmail purposes created around December last year- Could this be over-riding the Desktop client or can they both work independently?

Sinclair
It works independently, though they are linked together, meaning what you get on webmail, will be downloaded on Outlook when you access it but it doesn't make any difference in sending.
I beleive, the issue is with your friends account. Nothing, on your side triggers anything suspicious - it may be that your mails are going to his junk/spam.
If there was something wrong on your side, then no other friends would have received your emails as well.
If mail failed reason, then you would have received a delivery report stating why it failed.