Viet - Computer Tech
Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer software and hardware support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac.
30037186

hi there! Ive got a Sony VAIO with Windows 7,about 6 years

hi there! Ive got a Sony VAIO with Windows 7,about 6 years old and i installed a PC game(Dawn of War) and since then(i think) the laptop refuses to play DVDs of any description.It will continue to play the games but wont even recognise the DVD in the drive. Im presuming that a setting was changed on installation of the game but im not sure which.... Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! Cathal Twomey, Cork, Ireland
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 2 years ago.
Hello! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed computer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

I'm sorry about the issue. Does it recognize any other cd or dvd disk at all, such as a software disk, or printer disk, or a music cd disk or a video cd/dvd disk, etc.?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Viet!! well....ive just tried the music cd and nothing.Ive been trying the DVDs all night and nothing....but it does play my PC games...Championship Manager 2000/2001 and the Warhammer "Dawn of War" trilogy....but as i said,i think all this came from me installing the dawn of war game the other day. not quite sure about software discs as this laptop hasnt been updated since its purchase in 2010.

Please try this first solution: click Start->All programs->Accessories->System Tools->System Restore and restore the computer to any date before this issue has occurred, and check. Please let me know. Thank you.