cvd4311
cvd4311, Computer Analyst
Experience:  I have a BA in CIT with over 14 years experience.
20109878

How to get rid of occasional Blue Screen in Windows 8.1I

How to get rid of occasional Blue Screen in Windows 8.1 I have a PC running Widows 8.1 Build 9600. After about a year of relatively trouble free running, I started to get a Blue Screen. It appears with no warning as I am using the PC or when the PC is idle. The Blue covers the whole screen, covering any existing screen at the time, except for the following which appears at top left; --- ACTIVATE WINDOWS go to pc settings to activate windows Go To PC Settings --- I have tried all options in PC Settings, and none seem to respond correctly. However. if I just go to PC Settings and delete the screen (click X), then I am returned to the screen I was working on and that app continues normally, until the Blue Screen appears again in two or three hours time. I have the original activation code on the original cover to the Windows 8.1 disk. What simple action can I take to rid myself of this annoying Blue Screen?

John Daly

In Chiang Mai, Thailand

Category: Computer
Expert:  cvd4311 replied 2 years ago.
cvd4311 :

1. You can restore to an earlier point in time before you where getting this blue screen (because something has updated on your computer that has caused this)
2. You can make sure you computer is updated
3. Go to control panel, then click on recovery, then click on open system restore and let that run
4. Make sure you time and date is correct on your computer
5. You can uninstall any updated from when you started getting your blue screen
6. If all else fails restore you computer to factory default (after you have backed up everything on it so that you won't loose it).

Customer:

Thank You Cynthia,

Customer:

I have run Open System Restore as you suggest. It took about an hour to run.

Customer:

I am now waiting to see if the Blue Screen recurs. I will advise you in due course.

Customer:

John Daly

Customer:

Blue screen has re-appeared after about 2 hours.

Customer:

John Daly

cvd4311 :

Did you try to uninstall any updates that updated on your computer when the blue screen was coming into it? Also run your antivirus.

Customer:

I tried to Refresh my PC. The proceedure worked perfectly and I thought I had lost the Blue Screen, but after two or three hours it came back again.

Customer:

Then I took a deep breath and chose to "Remove Everything", with the "Just Remove My Files" option. Once again the proceedure worked perfectly and the Blue Screen has GONE. Moreover the File History option seems to be working well onto an external hard-derive which previously was not working.

Customer:

I have run a "Reimage" scan and the results are excellent, much better than previously.

Customer:

Does anybody know what causes this "Blue Screen"?

Customer:

Thank you for your help.