Michelle
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

Hello. I have an HP Officejet Pro 8600. It has been very reliable

Hello. I have an HP Officejet Pro 8600. It has been very reliable and done a great deal of heavy duty copying over the years I have owned it. Suddenly - this morning - it has stopped working. I have followed the instructions to switch off, unplug, then try to restart etc. but with no positive response. It tells me to contact HP for help.
I have checked that all the ink cartridges are OK and replaced one that was empty. There is no paper stuck anywhere and it doesn't indicate a problem with paper. Panel says "problem with printer or ink system." The ink carriage seem to be moving up and down OK - but the noise it makes is not the usual noise. I really need this working asap. Please advise.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
Michelle :

Hi, My name is ***** ***** i will be assisting you

Michelle :

Please let me know if you get any error code on printer

Michelle :

or does it show anything like ink system failure

Customer:

Hi Michelle - The inicator panel reads "There is a problem with the printer or ink system. ---- If problem persists, contact HP."

Michelle :

thanks for letting me know

Michelle :

this error usually indicates a fault of the printhead

Michelle :

as you have already tried multiple steps, please cross check the steps i am listing below and try them in case you have not already tried them before

Customer:

OK go ahead.

Michelle :

Please remove cartridges and printhead and turn off printer..unplug power cord...keep the ON button on printer pressed for 10 secs..wait for 2 mins....during this time use a cotton swab and little alcohol and clean the golden contacts of the cartridge and printhead

Michelle :

also clean the nozzles of the printhead with cotton swab ensuring they are not clogged

Customer:

How do I remove the printhead?

Michelle :

let me give the link

Michelle :

watch this video

Michelle :

once you have tried the above steps, turn on printer and reinsert printhead and ink cartridge and let me know if error repeats or goes off

Michelle :

if error repeats try the below

Michelle :

on your computer...right click on printer icon..printer preferences..maintainence tab...click on deep clean to clean the printhead

Michelle :

once the printhead cleaning completes..try printing

Michelle :

if still error repeats then the possible fault is with the printhead and would need to be replaced

Michelle :

i am listing the link below for printhead available on ebay

Michelle :

you can check the prices and then accordingly decide whether you would like to get this one repaired or opt in for a new printer

Michelle :

i hope you understand that in case of a hardware fault\jams, i can only diagnose the faulty parts and suggest intermediate steps but cannot make a bad part work again

Michelle :

let me know if you have any questions

Michelle :

Thanks for choosing just answer

Michelle :

you may click on a smiley face below to rate the service if your question has been answered

Customer:

Are you telling me thatv I need to buy a complete new printerhead and cartridges. If so - how do I get a refund of my cartridges? One of them is brand new today and the others are only partially used. The Black is a large one.

Customer:

BTW I was watching the video on what to do when you went offline.

Michelle :

I am not offline if i go to another page it shows offline

Customer:

OK - that's not clear from this end though.

Michelle :

i am sorry..its just that if we change windows the other person shows as offline or stepped out of chat

Michelle :

did you try the steps i gave

Customer:

I have followed the video and removed the printhead. It then shows the loading of a completely new printhead with cartridges included. Hence my question asking if I need to buy a new printhead?

Michelle :

no...that video is for replacing a printhead... just shared that to show you the steps

Michelle :

if you reinsert the same printhead and complete the steps i gave and still the same error comes then the issue is with the printhead

Michelle :

that would need to be replaced

Customer:

Ok. I will now go back through your instructions and see whether I can resolve the problem. This will take me some time. I assume you will still be there after I have done all that?

Michelle :

yes sure

Customer:

OK Thanks.

Michelle :

you are welcome

Customer:

I have plugged in, switched on, inserted the printer head with ink cartridges still in and put down the lever that locks the printhead. My instruction panel is now saying "The print carraige cannot move ---- clear any paper jam or obstruction ---" but there is no paper jam or any visible obstruction !! I think it is something to do with the lever - but I had to lift this to get the printer head out, therefore I assume it must be put down when the printhead has been returned?

Michelle :

try removing the cartridges and then remove the print head and reseat it back and make sure the lever is in place correctly and the head is sitting fine.

Customer:

I have no way of knowing whether the lever is correct except thjat it seems to be sitting properlyplease stay available as i have to stop with an eye migraine. sorry please be patient and i will get back to you asap[.

Michelle :

Please take your time.

Customer:

having checked everything seems to be in place properly - but it still says the carraige can't move - so something is stopping it!

Michelle :

seems to be getting jammed

Michelle :

if you remove the head and slide the carriage to and fro does it move freely or stays stuck

Customer:

It stays stuck - I cannot move it at all - and that's with the lever up.

Michelle :

seems that the carriage has jammed

Michelle :

please unplug power cord and then slide the carraige

Michelle :

if it moves...slide it a little

Customer:

Now I have put the lever down I can slide the carraige - but it is not very easy to move.

Michelle :

is the printer off or on

Customer:

On

Michelle :

turn it off and then try to slide it

Customer:

If I turn it off the carriage goes to the other end behind the casing and Ican't access it.

Michelle :

ok..got it

Customer:

Yes I can move it when turned off

Michelle :

ok..slide it 2-3 times

Michelle :

then insert the head and ink cartridge and then check

Customer:

Done

Michelle :

any errors you get

Customer:

OK it moves. Should the lever be up or down?

Michelle :

down

Customer:

It still says print carraige can't move - same as before !

Michelle :

and this error comes only after you install the printhead

Customer:

It seems that way. The Printhead can be wobbles a bit from side to side - but I cannot see any other way of fitting it in. It seems to be in the right position.

Michelle :

ok..i will give you a link that has the steps to reseat the printhead with pictures

Michelle :

just click on it and scroll down to solution 3 option

Michelle :

if it looks the same as shown in pictures then most probably it could be a possible mechanical jam within the printer\

Customer:

Thanks - it'll take a while -don't go away !!

Michelle :

yes i am right here

Customer:

I've done step 5 and have "There is a problem with the printer or ink system. Turn printer off, then on. If problem persists contact HP. This is the message I originally had when the problem fikrst occurred this morning. I am now abolut to give up!!!

Michelle :

ok that means that the same ink system error has come back

Michelle :

let me know if you have any questions

Customer:

So. I am assuming I need to buy a new printhead carraige. I think my best bet is to return this machine to the shop where I bought it and let them check whether or not I am still in warranty - and they can advise AND deal with it. We have not resloved this problem to my satisfaction, therefore I assume I will not need to pay the full £42. Please advise. I am. however grateful for your help and patience. Thank You.

Michelle :

Please understand that if the steps i gave would work if and only if there is not a part failure , the printer would have been up and running but since there is a hardware fault my support options get limited when it comes to repairing the printhead. Thanks for choosing just answer

Customer:

So pls advise how much I am paying today.

Michelle :

if you wish to pay a partial amount let me know what amount you would like to pay

Michelle :

i will get the same processed

Customer:

£20. I think you have spent a long time helping me and as the problem was not resolved, I am happy to pay half of the suggested fee. Will that be Ok with you?

Michelle :

ok..i will forward your request to the billing team and they will make a payment for half the amount

Michelle :

thanks for choosing just answer

Customer:

Will I receive a receipt for this amount via email?

Michelle :

yes you would get an email about your subscription

Customer:

OK Thanks. over and out!

Michelle :

thanks for choosing just answer

Customer:

'Bye now.

Michelle :

Bye

Michelle :

You may rate the question now.

Michelle :

Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.