jctservice
jctservice, Consultant
Experience:  I'm an experienced IT systems administrator and engineer.
70537868

james its ron talking i have windows 7pro 64bit i have a

hi james its ron talking i have windows 7pro 64bit i have a virus called vosteran can you give me any idea how to remove it as norton does not reconise it or pick it up
Category: Computer
Expert:  jctservice replied 2 years ago.
jctservice :

Hi there! I'm Joey, and I'm happy to assist you today!

jctservice :

If you'd like, we can set up a remote assistance session and I can help you resolve the issue while you watch.

Customer:

hi how much more money is it going to cost as im disabled and can afford to keep spending out

jctservice :

No additional fee for that in this case.

Customer:

if that's possible I would be very greatfull

jctservice :

Great, Please click this link to begin the download of the screen sharing tool. Once the download has completed, RUN or OPEN the file to start. You should see a small program open near the top center of your screen, with a 9 digit number. Please give me that 9 digit number so I can join your screen sharing session.
https://secure.join.me/Download.aspx?webdownload=true

Customer:

the number is *****

jctservice :

Great. I should be connected momentarily -- you'll then see a prompt to all me to control your computer, so if you allow that, I will take over, just let go of your mouse and i'll work on the removal of the Vosteran

jctservice :

ok, I've checked a couple places where the Vosteran usually appears -- and don't see it -- we are looking at the infected computer now, is that correct?

jctservice :

where do you see evidence of the Vosteran on your machine?

Customer:

I forgot to tell you I downloaded spyhunter 4 for a scan and it was apparent on there

jctservice :

Excellent, that is a good software scanner. you may have resolved it. Do you use any other browsers that you'd like me to check?

Customer:

and I did have it come up on my browser I didn't go through with purchasing it as they wanted me to enter a yearly contract so the virus wasn't removed

jctservice :

Thats ok. Many of the scanner programs have a free and a paid version. Another great free tool is Spybot, "lavasoft ad-aware"

Customer:

its imbedded in my computerso can you check my computer please

jctservice :

the plug-in for the Vosteran is gone from Internet Explorer, and it's removed as a program for your computer's program list. So, it appears that Vosteran is removed. If you'd like to run another scan, I can assist with the download of Spybot or Ad-aware and begin agnother scan

jctservice :

I'll download another scanner and we'll run that to be sure, i'll take over again and begin that for you!

Customer:

ok please

Customer:

hi james how comes I downloaded spy hunter twice for a scan anddetected it both times

jctservice :

It's possible that it didn't remove it the first time, or, sometimes it can take a couple scans to remove malware completely. We'll let this spybot scan complete and see if it finds any further remants

Customer:

ok cheers

jctservice :

Also, I noticed that you have 2 active anti-virus softwares installed -- this is not a recommended solution, and can slow down your computer as the 2 products can conflict with each other

jctservice :

I'd recommend you remove either the AVG or the Norton/symantec. In your case, probably remove the AVG if your norton/symantec subscription is up to date.

Customer:

yes its only because I normaly use avg but seen it didn't pick it up I had Norton in stock

jctservice :

ok, no problem. Sometimes the Anti-Virus programs don't pick up "malware" -- the Vosteran is probably more of a "malware" than a virus -- not sure why they differentiate, but its no uncommon for A/V software to NOT find something that spybot, spyhunter, etc. will find

jctservice :

Once we are done and confident the vosteran is gone, just remember to remove the AVG so you aren't running both.

Customer:

ok thanks no problem

jctservice :

It looks like the spybot scan is going to take quite a while to finish. Since i've already check a few places where the Vosteran "lives" -- i think you'll be in the clear once the scan is finished. So let that scan complete, and then remove any traces it may find. Let me know how it goes, and if you still have a problem, certainly let me know ,and I'll jump back on and we can continue

Customer:

ok thanks

jctservice :

I'll disconnect from our support session, but we can start it up again later at no additional charge if we need to.

jctservice :

If you have any further questions once that scan completes, please feel free to let me know… Just reply here at any time. and I'll get back with you as soon as I can!

Thank you and have a great day!

__________________________________________________________

Please give me a positive rating for my service if I have helped you today. The next time you need computer help, you can ask me directly by starting your question at http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-jctservice/

Customer:

no probs thanks for your help

jctservice :

You're quiet welcome. And FYI, you can reply back for further assistance, even after rating.

Customer:

ok