Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

- I'm a lecturer in the UK and I need to connect a Samsung

- I'm a lecturer in the UK and I need to connect a Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 to a VGA projector. I've tried various options to date and none work. The tablet only has one type of specific output port. (Micro USB 3.0 (MHL)). I lecture in various different locations so I will be using a different VGA projector every time so I need the solution to be bullet proof.
One option that I expected to work was to connect a HDTV Adapter (non Samsung) to the tablet and then connect the Adapter via a HDMI cable to a converter box that I bought to connect an old Acer Iconia (with HDMI port) to a VGA projector. This converter box worked okay with the Acer and the converter box basically converts HDMI to VGA. However this solution wont work with the Samsung.
There is alot of information/advice on the web and forums that don't seem to work. It may be that I specifically need a Samsung HDTV adapter but the adapter does work fine if I use it to connect straight from it to a HDTV (i.e. without the converter box).
Im considering resolving the problem completely by buying a portable projector (HDMI) and using the HDTV adapter above with it. I have tested this an it works ok but I'd prefer not to do this as its more equipment to carry and the portable projectors arent cheap.
Help appreciated.
Thanks, Paul
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
The two solutions are as follows.
First is to connect the HDMI converter then a special HDMI to VGA converter. Not all converters work, you have to use the one I list below. But, you will get slight quality issues (lines coming through). This is the loss of quality with the converting. If this is not an issue , then you need this device to connect to the Samsung
Click me to open
And this device to convert the HDMI to VGA
Click me to view
You cannot use any converter, it has to be this one.
If quality though is very important , then you are worth considering a portable projector. Possibly something like this one
Click me to view
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Richard - Thanks email.

Do you mind if I finish/close once I have bought and tried the solution that you have suggested? Otherwise, its tricky to give feedback.

I should be able to test your solution within the next few days, as I do not have a VGA projector here.

The only queries that I have are:

1. Is the first device simply a Samsung version of what I already have i.e. a HDTV Adapter? And do I need power supply to it? I did need power with the non Samsung one.

2. Is the 2nd device the same as this one below because I already have one of these here with me which saves me buying it.:

http://www.cablematters.com/pc-434-79-cable-matters-active-hdmi-to-vga-male-to-female-adapter-with-usb-power-cable-with-audio-support.aspx

The portable projector you've listed looks more affordable so thanks.

If you could respond I may be able to get the first device locally tomorrow. Otherwise, I will have to order online and that will take time to arrive.

Thanks and regards, Paul

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Paul,
questions, I have the answers below
"1. Is the first device simply a Samsung version of what I already have i.e. a HDTV Adapter? And do I need power supply to it? I did need power with the non Samsung one."
It is, but it is needed in order to work.It will need to be connected to power and this is via the Micro USB port on the adapter itself.
second question, I cannot see a model number, so cannot tell if it is the same. I can only vouch that the model I recommended works, so I advise you to use that model.
But, please note the quality issue your likely to have, which is why the portable projector can be the better option.
It is no issue rating me later, but I am always hesitant with this. Nothing personal, but a lot of people forget or never come back to do the rating. I always advise, if you rate me on my service so far, you can always change this later and of course I am always here to answer questions or handle any issues that occur.
In addition, you can always at anytime get a refund if you are not satisfied. This is why I always ask if it is ok to do the rating now, in case, but if you really wish to do it later, I can understand.
Thanks and please let me know if you would like any additional information.
Richard.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Richard. I'd prefer to rate and pay once I've implemented your advice. Thanks, Paul

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Paul and have a great night
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok Richard. I've ordered the Samsung device and this should arrive tomorrow. I have not ordered the other device as I think the one I have already may be the same one.

I should be able to check the solution with a VGA monitor sometime this week. Im guessing it would work with a HDTV with a VGA port anyway.

I may have some other IT issues also at some point. E.g. changing the OS on the tablet to windows - but I will let you know in due course.

Thanks, Paul

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, thank you Paul
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Richard could you ask Just Answer to turn off the email reminders to rate/pay? Thanks, Paul

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
I am unable to here Paul, if you email***@******.*** you can request it to customer service.
Let me know if you have any difficulties please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Richard - I have the checked the Samsung device via VGA to a TV at home and it works fine. Thanks. I am lecturing this weekend so I will check the whole thing with a VGA projector and then confirm, rate and pay. Regards, Paul

I also have a few other questions as mentioned and I will post these via Just Answer asap. One mentioned above and one relating to hardwiring the Samsung tablet to the internet.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Paul.
Till then
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok cool Richard. Cheers. Paul

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Richard - One question - if I use the Free 7 day trial and then join the unlimited questions offer for £ 28 per month, can I stop it at any time ( say after a few months) and can I request specific experts eg you? Paul

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
I am not sure Paul as I am only a engineer here, you would need to email***@******.*** in order to have that question, or any Customer service questions answered.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Richard - All went well. Thank you. I've now rated the answer and I hope that the funds have been released ok to you. Any issues, please let me know. Best Regards, Paul

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Good to hear Paul and thank you
other questions you have, you can make them directly to me here.
Click me to open
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok Richard. I will do in due course as mentioned, Thanks and regards, Paul