Viet - Computer Tech
Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer software and hardware support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac.
30037186

When adding new members to our club's Google Group list, I

When adding new members to our club's Google Group list, I don't have any control over the display name. It seems to take the first part of the email address up to the @ sign and assume the display name is ***** ***** in a case such as *****@******.*** I'd like to change the display name from pthom286 to Pete Thomas so it makes more sense. How do I do that?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 2 years ago.

Hello! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed computer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

I'm sorry about the issue. You cannot change the display name of a member directly after it's already added. But there is a way. There are two methods; you can use either method for each member that you want to change his/her name :

Method 1: Your member needs do this method.

- Tell your member to edit his/her name (and/or google+ account) at the website below:
https://myaccount.google.com/

Make sure he/she uses the same email address that you have added; if needed, make sure he/she uses the same email address to create a google account first.

Method 2:

- Go to the google groups website https://groups.google.com/forum/#!myforums

, then click on your group name

, then click on Members near the upper right corner

, then click on Manage near the top

, then select the member that you want to change the display name, then click on Remove and confirm to remove
, then select the Invite members option on the left, or for faster process, select the option Direct add members on the left
, then enter the member exactly the following way:

"FirstName LastName" <[email protected]>

, then click on Add.

(Replace FirstName with his/her first name, replace LastName with his/her last name, and replace [email protected] with his/her email address.)

Please confirm. Thank you.