Michelle
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

My 16gb IPad is telling me that I have run out of capacity.

My 16gb IPad is telling me that I have run out of capacity. However, the sum total of usage as listed in Settings is less than 5GB. (I'm not a big user) Can anyone explain to me where all my storage has gone
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
Michelle :

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help resolve your problem.

Michelle :

please tell me the full error message you are getting on the ipad

Customer:

If I try to download anything of substance - a movie or a software update - I get a message that the IPad has insufficient storage.

Customer:

The exact message is "There isn't enough space on your device, delete some items and try again"

Michelle :

Have you set a disk space quota for the user?

Michelle :

Can the other users upload attachments?

Customer:

I have no idea what you mean by that

Michelle :

try to upload a small file and not a movie and let me know if it installs

Michelle :

any small app

Customer:

Ive downloaded an app called "active Kids" without difficulty. However, it will not download a single episode fro a box set, for example, or any of the recent Apple software updates

Michelle :

Power down the ipad

Michelle :

shut the power down completely and leave if for 3 to 5 mins

Michelle :

power it on and let me know

Customer:

Done. It's been powered down a number of times since this problem first emerged. I'll leave it off for the next five minutes and then get back to you. Incidentally, we are conversing via my desktop, so I'm still here

Michelle :

alright.

Michelle :

are you using icloud service?

Customer:

Yes ~ but I can't find anything left to download to it

Customer:

I've switched it back on and tried to download an episode of a TV show: same result

Michelle :

ok click on the i-cloud icon

Michelle :

then select storage and backup

Michelle :

check the total storage and available space

Michelle :

let me know

Customer:

Total storage on ICloud is 20 GB and available space is 19.4

Michelle :

can you click on manage storage and try to clear or remove one file which is more then 900mb or more that 1 gb stored.

Michelle :

i believe your icloud service is on

Customer:

I have no items of than size on the list. Within ICloud, the biggest its

Michelle :

did you try to run the itune updates

Michelle :

if not then try running the updates now

Customer:

item shown is my IPhone at 284 MB. on the IPad list the biggest is photos and camera at 533 mb

Customer:

Sorry, I think you missed part of that. I have no items in either ICloud or the Ipad of more than %00 MB

Michelle :

if the error is popping up on one particular file or movie you can try to download a smaller sized movie but a new one or another episode of tv show

Customer:

Its not one file - its any file that I try

Michelle :

then you must check the local space on the ipad and not the icloud space

Michelle :

if you have local space 11.6 gb available as you stated on the question then you must run the ipad updates one time

Customer:

I'm aware of that Michelle. The Ipad is tellin me that I've used up 12 GB of space yet the sum total of all the apps shown on the list is c. 4GB. That's the problem I' trying to resolve. Is there a way that I can send you the usage screen?

Michelle :

yes you can

Michelle :

you will need to click a picture of the screen and then post it here

Customer:

Not sure I know how to do that Michelle. Can you give me an email address and I'll send it from my IPhone

Michelle :

you can upload the picture file on the link given above.

Customer:

Upload it from where. I'm afraid you're dealing with a computer illiterate here. I'v taken a pic of the IPad screen on my IPhone. Is there a way I can get that to you?

Michelle :

are you on a computer chatting with me right now or using the ipad

Customer:

On the computer

Michelle :

1. Take a photo of the ipad from your iphone.

Michelle :

open the link i gave on the top your iphone

Michelle :

you can simply click on upload file and choose the photo and upload it

Michelle :

you will get a link let me know the link then i can view the picture

Customer:

I have to sign up to use that site. It will take a few minutes

Michelle :

no need to sign in

Michelle :

you can watch this video and try the steps

Michelle :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVo3wW3djYM

Michelle :

are you there?

Michelle :

I have seen this problem few times however you may try the steps i am giving you now that must solve the problem.

Michelle :

this can be an app data or some kind of file which is corrupted due to which you are unable to download files in free space.

Michelle :

let me know when you are there i will post you the steps

Customer:

Havent been able to sign up to Filedropper. Problems with Pay Pal. Ill go into the website yopu suggest now

Michelle :

no please wait

Michelle :

Sometimes it may be app data, album art, etc., other times it may be bad storage disk optimization or caches not getting cleared after the system has been in use for a while.

You can usually reclaim the space by making a backup of your iPad, then doing a Restore to the latest version of iOS. After the process completes reload from your backup, and in most cases the “Other” data is gone.

Customer:

OK What should I do next

Michelle :

backup of your iPad

Customer:

How?

Customer:

OK. I've done that and its downloading to ICLoud at the moment. It also offered me the option to update the software

Customer:

Back up has completed

Michelle :

update the software to the latest one and then reboot the ipad

Customer:

OK. According to the screen, that's going to take the guts on one hour! How do I get back to you if we need to talk later?

Michelle :

you can open justanswe email and as you open it it will launch the chat session or you can simply use the view my answer or reply to the expert button

Michelle :

and i will be notified.

Michelle :

is there anything else i may assist you?

Customer:

OK, Thanks Michelle. I'll get back to you as soon as I have an outcome.

Michelle :

sure and i will wait for your reply.

Michelle :

please don't rate negative smiley reply me using the reply to expert button and i will continue to help.

Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Michelle

I went through all the steps and, somehow, I appear to have reached a solution. The music library seems to have migrated to I Cloud and some space has opened up. We'll see what develops

Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
sure...let me know the update and if your issue gets fixed please click on a smiley face\stars to rate the service