jctservice
jctservice, Consultant
Experience:  I'm an experienced IT systems administrator and engineer.
70537868

I've had a Roku 3 couple of years now, and over that

Customer Question

I've had a Roku 3 couple of years now, and over that time I've downloaded over 500 channels, I decided to get rid of the lot and start a new, so I went back to the factory settings. Everything went ok, it linked up to my broadband, entered the correct password ***** pressed ok, everything linked up, and after that it said once finished it would start automatically, it went through loading up to the required 100%, went off screen, the Roku emblem appeared, then nothing else, just the emblem, which bounces up and down, and I know I have to enter some credit card details to get the programmes, please help!
Category: Computer
Expert:  jctservice replied 1 year ago.
Customer:

there! I'm Joey, and I'm happy to assist you today!

Customer:

The initial roku setup can take some time, but it normally shouldn't stay on the Roku screen than a few minutes

Customer:

When you did your reset to factory settings, did you do that using the menus on screen, or with the reset button on the device itself?

JACUSTOMER-18113yjy- :

I used the return to factory setting on screen

Customer:

Ok. Lets try the factory reset again, using the reset button on the roku.

Customer:

Its just below the power plug i believe on that model

Customer:

leave it all plugged in, then use a paperclip or similar item to press and hold that power button seconds

JACUSTOMER-18113yjy- :

Joey, I done what you said, the Ruko emblem went off the screen, minute or so, then on the language selections, I clicked on English, then it went to my broadband connection, clicked on that, entered my broadband password, it then went through the loading process, and said that the Ruko would start automatically after that, but nothing but the Ruko emblem is still on the screen

Customer:

So if it asked connection password ***** that means the reset worked -- but it sounds like its doing exactly what it did before

Customer:

also, we've determined that your remote works, otherwise you'd not be able to enter your password ***** select your language

Customer:

if you press buttons on the remote now, does the little light on the roku blink, or does it beep through the TV like it does as you navigate normally

Customer:

the language selection screen has gone away, correct? and you only see the roku logo?

Customer:

also, do you connect this roku with wireless network, or with a network acble

Customer:

cable

JACUSTOMER-18113yjy- :

Actually Joey, it didn't ask password ***** was already on the screen, I just went over it again, to be sure I spelt it right. The remote lets me enter the password, but once all is done, the remote does nothing, it is a wireless network

Customer:

you are still in the password *****?

Customer:

Lets try to re-pair the remote, just to make sure the remote is still paired....

Open the Roku remote battery compartment
Place the Roku remote in close proximity with your Roku
player.
Press and hold the pairing button inside the battery
compartment seconds.
Wait about 10 seconds remote LED to stop
flashing.
Try using the Roku remote again.

Customer:

also, another thing to check, make sure you do not have an SD card in the small SD card slot under the HDMI slot (it didn't come with one, so unless you or someone put one in, there shouldn't be one there)

JACUSTOMER-18113yjy- :

I've done that, held it close to the box, the remote is still blinking, nothing is happening, checked, no SD card, Roku emblem still on screen and the remote is still blinking

Customer:

after you entered the network password, did it show you 3 green checkmarks?

JACUSTOMER-18113yjy- :

Yes, every time, all 3 come with green ticks

Customer:

ok, so i think the issue you have is not unheard of -- it seems to be an issue with the roku attempting to update. There are a couple other things you can try. The first, is to connect with a network cable instead of wifi, at least temporarily.

Customer:

and factory reset again using the reset button on the back..

Customer:

the other method is quite tricky, but is probably your next step... i'll list it here...

Customer:

a) reset the roku with the reset button on the back - hold seconds to bring it to the Setup Wizard
b) Pair your remote, select your language

The next action requires exact timing:
c) enter the Wifi Settings ( SSID & Password)

The Roku will now go through 3 checks: Network Interface, Local Network, Internet

Once you see 3 green ticks - IMMEDIATELY disable the Internet at your Router. This tricks the Roku into thinking that "The Update Server is unavailable".
The Roku must stay connected to Wifi, tricking the player into believing the network connection to the internet is still in tact.
There are several ways to cut the internet connection. You could unplug the WAN Cable from the wireless router. do not turn the wifi router off. This may require a 2nd person if the router is in a separate location...

So the Roku now thinks the Update Server is unavailable and finally lets you SKIP the Software Update.

d) Enter your regional Settings

e) The Roku will try to generate a Registration Code and without Internet keeps sitting at 'Retrieving Registration Code"

f) Reconnect your wifi router the Internet with the WAN. .

g) Once the Internet is available again, hit " * " (help) on the Roku and Request another Activation Code

h) Log on to your Roku Account and complete re-registering your device

Customer:

i realize that last process may take some time, so you are welcome to come back at any time, even if not today, to continue.

JACUSTOMER-18113yjy- :

Joey, that would be great, thanks help so far, I'll try again tomorrow night, if possible

Customer:

yes, just reply back when you are ready to continue. if reason I'm unavailable, another tech should be able to pick up where we've left off here. I look forward to hearing from you.

Expert:  jctservice replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  jctservice replied 1 year ago.
Just wanted to check in with you to make sure your roku is up and working... If you have any further questions, please feel free to let me know… Just reply here at any time, even after rating.
Thank you and have a great day!
__________________________________________________________
Please give me a positive rating service if I have helped you today. The next time you need computer help, you can ask me directly by starting your question at http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-jctservice/