jctservice
jctservice, Consultant
Experience:  I'm an experienced IT systems administrator and engineer.
70537868

sata port none, operating system not found - can I restore/fix

sata port none, operating system not found - can I restore/fix the hard drive?
Category: Computer
Expert:  jctservice replied 2 years ago.
jctservice :

there! I'm Joey, and I'm happy to assist you today!

jctservice :

the operating system not found message of course means your computer is unable to see the hard drive to boot from. Sounds like you've already checked the connector on the hard drive, and as long as the power and data cables were both security fastened (check the data cable on both ends), then we know its securely connected

jctservice :

A couple other items to check -- make sure there aren't any CDs/DVDs in any drives, and make sure any external hard drives or flash drivers are disconnected

jctservice :

It could be that the operating system (windows files) have become corrupt, and therefore unbootable, or the hard drive could be failed, or in the process of failing

Customer:

its a netbook - no cd/dvd, and ive even taken the battery off and back on a few times

jctservice :

ok, in that case, lets try one more thing here...

jctservice :

turn it off, take the battery out, and unplug the power adaptor

jctservice :

While the battery is out, and the cord unplugged, press and hold the power button on the laptop full seconds. You won’t see anything happen, but this will drain an remaining voltage from motherboard.

Once you’ve done that, plug in the AC power adaptor, leave the battery out, and press the power button normally to turn the laptop back on

jctservice :

and let me know if that gives you different results

Customer:

thanks - tried that and it doesn't get past the F2 up, or F4 with a faint beeping spund. F4 produces only operating system not found. F2 takes me to bios but that's where I see sata is none so no hard drive (right?). I cant load the cd I was supplied because no cd drive in net book... daft! as you saw Ive tried opening the back and checking the connector of hard drive to rest of the machine was in place and it seemed fine. I thought I saw the hard drive in sata port briefly but then it went to none again... Im stumped

jctservice :

Ok, my next step was going to be the recovery partion (F4) -- if that also fails, then that partition is also bad -- usually indicating a bad hard drive

jctservice :

there are a couple steps going forward -- first, is there any data you'd like to save on on that hard drive?

Customer:

bad?

jctservice :

pictures, files, etc.?

Customer:

yes if possible

jctservice :

ok. Since your BIOS shows nothing in SATA, that usually means the hard drive is indeed bad -- UNLESS there is by change a IDE (PATA) hard drive.

jctservice :

however, sometimes, it can still be possible to recover the data from the hard drive using a USB adaptor, and reading the drive from a working computer -- of course, this will not work if the drive has failed completely.

jctservice :

So, those adaptors are usually $10-20 (US), so theres a bit of a gamble, you could buy it and it not work

jctservice :

I'm happy to send you a link to that if you'd like to see

jctservice :

to get your computer working again, you'll need a new hard drive, and then an external DVD-Rom drive (USB) so you can use your recovery CDs to reinstall windows on the new drive

Customer:

hm. I wish there was a way to test if there was some kind if life and therefore worth trying the usb adaptor. can you suggest anything?

jctservice :

one of the tests is the BIOS test to see if the BIOS can actually see it -- which in your case it can't.

Customer:

any others?

jctservice :

if your computer had a special diagnostics mode (some do) it can usually test hardware such as CPU, memory, hard drive, etc.

jctservice :

anything else would require testing equipment, or adaptors such as the one I described... or taking to a local tech and having someone else test it that already has the proper equipment (but that usually costs more than just buying the adaptor)

jctservice :

if your netbook has diagnostics, it would either show somewhere in the BIOS (F2), or give you a different keypress altogether to enter diagnostis mode

Customer:

Doesn't seem to have any other info than the bios list. i'll have to ask someone. shame, was hoping to resurrect it tonight!

jctservice :

unfortunately a dead hard drive is very hard to resurrect!

jctservice :

ask around, see if anyone has either:
External enclosure .5 SATA drive
USB adaptor .5" sata Drive

(both of those would be to try to test your hard drive)

jctservice :

and the other item you likely need in the long run is a
USB External DVD Drive ($15-$25 unless you can borrow one!)
--that's to reinstall windows once you get a working hard drive

jctservice :

Sorry we won't be able to get you fixed up in a more simple/quick fashion

Customer:

how would I get the machine to recognise the presence of external dvd drive?

jctservice :

it will see it automatically -- sometime, though, you'll need to adjust your boot settings in the BIOS to enable it to boot to that drive, or boot to that drive BEFORE booting from the hard disk

Customer:

have you got a minute, because I think I have a usb dvd drive....

Customer:

oh wait, no, I haven't got it loaded to the machine - someone gave it to me and ive never used it

jctservice :

sure. you could even boot to your recover CDs if you do, and see if that process will recognize your hard drive. (most likely it won't, since the hard drive is most likely failed)

Customer:

sigh. all round fail then I guess. thanks

jctservice :

if you HAVE the USB-DVD drive, it should work, even if it's never been connected to the machine before, just to clarify

Customer:

oh that's different. well worth a shot... here goes

jctservice :

Well, at least you now know what the next steps are -- thats half the battle anyway

Customer:

with or without battery?

jctservice :

doesn't matter -- you can put the battery back in

Customer:

oh crikey, now it wont even stay switched on

Customer:

3rd time lucky - theres life

Customer:

so - set up or recovery? theres no seeming instant recohniition of dvd

jctservice :

you'll want to go to setup -- and look boot devices options

jctservice :

and adjust so that it boots to the DVD drive first

Customer:

takes a while...

jctservice :

and of course, you'll have to have the bootable recovery software in the drive as well

jctservice :

before powering up

Customer:

yup, was plugged in

Customer:

ok were in bios...

jctservice :

ok, look around options

jctservice :

and usually you'll be able to alter the order.......

Customer:

I see numlock off, enable keypad by numlock, touch mouse enabled, internal lan enabled, pxe oprom disabled...

jctservice :

there should be several sections -- , or perhaps scroll down with your arrow keys

Customer:

that's it within boot section

jctservice :

ooooh.. I understand. So nothing there to change the boot order . what are the other BIOS sections

jctservice :

those are the boot-up options -- how the computer should behave/operate at boot time

jctservice :

what is the model of your netbook, I can look

Customer:

ok, left to right - sysinfo (sata, cpu, bios version o1vg) etc, advanced - cpu power saving, hyperthreading, edb, usb support, ahci mode control, fan, battery, usb, security - passwords etc, b0ot, exit - where the normal restore section is

jctservice :

look briefly in each one and see if any show a BOOT DEVICE or BOOT ORDER or BOOT PRIORITY

Customer:

that's the boot section, with numlock etc

jctservice :

ok -- great. you'll want to set up the DVD drive, is possible, to be the primary or 1st boot device

Customer:

here it is - boot priority order: 1 usb cd says n/a

jctservice :

ok -- the N/A probably means there's not a bootable CD in it -- but if its 1, then thats what we want

Customer:

2 sata 3 pci 4 usb fdd 5 usb key 6 usb hdd

Customer:

so change it?

Customer:

usb cd is 1. need a different usb?

Customer:

still there?

jctservice :

sorry, yes

jctservice :

if USB CD is 1, thats what you want to try to boot to a recovery disk

jctservice :

does it show what option 2 is

Customer:

sata hdd

jctservice :

oh i see - your order is perfect

Customer:

looks like dead hdd

jctservice :

indeed

jctservice :

looks like we've done about all we can with what we've got.

Customer:

sigh, back to the sata port none, operating system not found, can I restore the hdd - the answer seems no, I guess

jctservice :

if you have a working hard drive (if you replace), and the recovery CDs are the OS (not just driver CDs or Documentation CDs), then you should be able to -- once you have the drive replaced

Customer:

ok, ill see how much replacement drive is. might be better to just get new laptop, maybe a refurb to save a bit of cash

jctservice :

perhaps. less effort ....

Customer:

ok well thanks , I guess you knew from title it would be a long shot

jctservice :

Yup, but I always like to give it my best shot.

jctservice :

If you have any further questions, please feel free to let me know… Just reply here at any time.

Thank you and have a great day!

__________________________________________________________

Please give me a positive rating service if I have helped you today. The next time you need computer help, you can ask me directly by starting your question at http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-jctservice/

Customer:

ok ill save the link