Randy Computer Tech
Randy Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer specialist
62741268

I am having difficulty installing Adobe Reader and Adobe Flashplayer.

Customer Question

I am having difficulty installing Adobe Reader and Adobe Flashplayer. With Adobe Reader the installation stalls at about 83% with the message "Error 1317 occurred while attempting to create the directory C:\program data\Adobe\acrobat\11.0.
Without Adobe Reader I am unable to open attachments.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Randy Computer Tech replied 2 years ago.
My name is***** will assist you.
I am sorry to hear that you are having this issue.
The first thing I would try is to disable any anti-virus software while you install Reader and right click on the download file and run as a administrator.

If that does not work, enable the anti-virus software again.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I followed your instructions. Disabled by anti virus software.Unfortunately the installation is still unsuccessful. This time only 50% of the installation was completed (down from 83%).

Message: Lost connection. Trying to reconnect.

Followed by:

Connection failed. Unable to complete installation.

I need more help please.

I can check on you computer settings with a remote connection. Please accept the additional services offer.
try this please> Download the Adobe Reader installer directly by clicking this link: http://get.adobe.com/reader/direct.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK. Are we agreed on the remote connection?

I will be glad to help with a remote connection, however the screen connect session has to be connected using the additional services offer. I clicked the link to send the request but have not gotten a reply. I will send a new link. I only have control over the technical support, I do not have access to the account and finacial area.
. Please click on the website below, then click on Agree/Join session, then allow the Elsinore / ScreenConnect remote program to run:
http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=61fc5f8a-2b8f-42e9-8789-d9af43059e68
I got the Flashplayer working,
if the restore removes the flashplayer you can reinstall from this link.
>PLEASE CLICK HERE<
Then try the reader again.
>PLEASE CLICK HERE<
.
If the reader fails there is an optional reader that actually works better with your browsers called foxit
>PLEASE CLICK HERE<
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Despite paying an additional amount of £32.18, your expert has not fixed anything. He spent over 2 hours trying to install Adobe Reader but was no more successful than I had been. Eventually he restored my PC to its former settings but I still don't have Adobe Reader. The same error code appears (1317) but I have no explanation of why I used to get Adobe Reader on this PC but I do not get it now. It is software which is universal so what is the problem? I still do not have an answer or a solution.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I still do not have an answer or a solution to the problem. nothing has been fixed. I still do not have Adobe Reader installed - despite the fact that it was accessible until a few days ago.
Help!

I can connect back with you on the remote session. I will work with you until this is resolved. It looked like a system update had caused the problem. Did the system restore complete successfully?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your prompt response. Appreciated. You have already spent a long time on this. You must be as frustrated as I am.

As far as I am aware, the system is completely restored. I have not checked the Norton anti virus software but I am assuming that this is now back on.

How would you like to proceed?

Please click on the website below, then click on Agree/Join session, then allow the Elsinore / ScreenConnect remote program to run:
http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=524b9b66-c129-4340-959e-bb1c01040dfb
I did the restore to a different date. It looked like the epson print drivers or the iTunes may have corrupted the msi install file. Try the reader again and let me know what happens please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for all your time and patience on this.

This time the installation stopped at 97% - which is significantly better. Almost there but not quite! Very frustrating.

I think you are right about the iTunes (which I never use) and the Epson printer drives. I had a problem with the printer - scanner was not working. The copier facility now has a malfunction. I didn't suspect a link with the installation.

What do you suggest is to be done now?

It is now 1105pm UK time. Should we continue on Tuesday?

yes, that will be good. Let me know when you are availble on Tuesday.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am available from 11.00am - 1230pm and from 3.00pm - 5.00pm UK time on Tuesday. Thanks for your ongoing support. I feel we are almost there so it would be very satisfying to get it sorted!

okay, I will send you an email. It will most likely be at 3pm uk time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That will be fine.

your welcome.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Randy,

I am now at my computer.

Having thought about the progress made yesterday, I am inclined to suggest that the fault could lie with the printer set up and possibly iTunes.

Over to you. Do you want to do a remote control again?

I am sorry for the delay, I had an appointment and I just got back in.
This does seem to be an error or glitch caused by the print drivers installation.
The problem seems to be with the msi.dll in the registry. That is the Microsoft installation files.Msi.dll errors are caused by situations that lead to the removal or corruption of the msi dll file.
I did the system restore two times, the restore usually gets that fixed. A clean install of Windows will install a fresh copy of Windows and correct this error, this may have to be our next course of action.
If we do that, it will require you to do a back up of your documents and files. Any third party software willl have to be reinstalled, so if you have any that you have purchased you will need the registration or activation codes to reinstall.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am now away from my desk for a few days. I'll contact you again later in the week - may be Friday or Saturday.

Thanks for your advice.

Your welcome.
Let me know when you return.