Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

We have a Samsung ML-2165W black laser printer now out of warranty.

We have a Samsung ML-2165W black laser printer now out of warranty. We have been extremely pleased with its performance - until today. It had been printing successfully until the toner-out light came on (both red lights) and it stopped printing. We assumed that a new toner cartridge was needed and installed one, but this was not recognized by the machine. We did all the obvious checks without effect and the manual does not help. When switched on the green light comes on alone, then begins to flash and there is a click and both red lights come on. This fault occurs both when the printer and computer are on and if the printer only is on so it does not appear to be a computer software or driver problem. We know (from experience) that some printers have a 'life' when a chip is 'full' and that this can be corrected.
Can you help?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
First, this was an authentic toner that you used in the printer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes IT WAS A SAMSUNG 101 MLT-D101S/ELS THE FAULT SEEMS TO HAVE OCURRED WHILE USING THE PREVIOUS CARTRIDGE (THE SAME TYPE). This surprised us as it was relatively new,

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you David
Can you remove the Toner
Then remove the power from the printer and wait 10 minutes to clear residue power
Then plug the power back in, put in the Toner and tell me please if you still get the error.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Unfortunately, yes!

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, if you put the original toner back in, same problem David?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, the same problem. But this did occur with this cartridge. The information on the computer says that there is no toner and to put one in. Is this a problem with a switch on the printer? It was working well today until this happened.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
No, its not the switch its the sensor for detecting a toner, from the symptoms you explain, which is going to be the main board in the printer.
Your going to have to take it back so they can replace this David. They will do this under warranty, but if the warranty has expired, get a pricing first as the cost to replace the board, depending on where you are, can exceed the cost of a new replacement printer.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.