Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

my computer boots up until the welcome screen then no icons

my computer boots up until the welcome screen then no icons appear i can just see the mouse pointer what do I need to do
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you tell me which version of windows is on it please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Windows 7 professional

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Rosemary
First, can you turn off the computer
turn it on and keep tapping F8 until you get to a menu.
Choose Safe Mode.
This should get you into Windows in Safe Mode (you wont have internet but it is not needed ).
Once in, click Start, and type in
System Restore
Press enter and follow the onscreen instructions to perform a Restore from the last Restore point.
Once completed, tell me if you can now start into Windows normally please.
Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It has taken me into startup repair? so I am letting it run

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Ok, shows there was corruption on the hard disk. This is a normal response from the computer.
Let the repair complete and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no thing it is still the same

I have restarted in safe mode and I have a screen with all my icons on it

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, now click start, type in
system restore
press enter
Follow the onscreen instructions and perform a system restore from the last restore point.
Let this complete and when it has tell me please if the computer now starts please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

System restore did not complete successfully Details

system restore failed to extract the file C: Windows \system32\catroot2\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\catfrom the restore point

An unspecified error occured during system restor (ox80070017)

I have the option to run system restore or close

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, run System Restore and choose a restore point before this one (so the second date in the list)
Tell me if this completes please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

have the same response - it suggests to do an advanced recovery

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, do the advance recovery now.
What then happens?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it appears to be working but despite backing up I have lost a lot of data

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Ok, it was serious coruption that removed a lot of data. We were lucky to be able to get it going again without a complete reinstall.
I strongly urge to ensure everything is backed up off the computer as this may have been a hardware issue (you will know if this happens again).
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.