Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I just replaced the motherboard of my Toshiba c850_172 and

Customer Question

I just replaced the motherboard of my Toshiba c850_172 and when trying to turn on the computer the light just comes on few seconds and the fan makes a sound like its about to turn on then it all goes dead. I'm not even getting the charging light at all. Could you advise please.

The battery on it's own doesn't even try, maybe because its not been charged in a while

Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
First, leave the battery out and run the Laptop just on power.
What then happens?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No light comes on until I press the on switch, but it only lasts a few seconds with the sound of the fan trying to start then it all goes off

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, sounds like the processor may not be seated correctly Wyatt, or the heatsink on it and its overheating forcing it to stop, or the motherboard itself is faulty.
Can you check the processor and make sure its properly seated, and the heatsink on it.
Also, make sure there is no dust or anything within the vents.
I can also call and step you through this if you want, its an additional service, and I made the offer , just let me know or the results of checking the Processor and Heatsink.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'll do that in a short while, I had been called out power failure as I work power utility

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
No problem Wyatt, ill be here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry delay, I have checked the processor and the heat sink it appears to be properly positioned. Still when I plug in the power nothing comes until I press the on switch but then again only few seconds the light stays on and a slight twitch on the fan

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, remove the memory from the Laptop.
Its not going to start, but should give a series of beep codes, does it do this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No there is no beep

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, if your not getting any beep codes at all Wyatt, to me it appears the motherboard is faulty,
Any other component should give a series of beeps.
Where did you get the motherboard from?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I bought through Ebid from Laptop Boards UK Warringham WA3 6DJ

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, unless you damaged it when installing, the board was a faulty product they sent you Wyatt, and your going to need to return it warranty exchange (they will have to honor this.
All other caused we have ruled out, and this is the next step you have to take.