Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

My Kindle does not recognise any WiFi. I have tried resetting

My Kindle does not recognise any WiFi. I have tried resetting it and my router to no effect.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you tell me please how you did the reset?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Held down off button on Kindle for about 20seconds. Switched off router for 5 min. waited 5min. switched router on . waited 5min switched Kindle on.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Lorna
We need to do the procedure, but for 35 seconds as 20 is too short, and I want to make sure this step is done correctly.
Remove the charger from the Kindle, then hold the power down for 35 seconds, then release.
Then connect the charger and turn it on and check.
If it still fails, please tell me the model of the Kindle.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

still says no networks available. My Kindle is an old one serial number BOOE 1501 1445 3E3S with 4 way controller not touch

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, I believe I know which modem you mean.
We will need to factory reset the kindle. This will wipe all data and return it to new. Then you can attempt to set it up again and download your books.
To do this, on the Kindle go to settings then press menu again it will give you the option to factory reset.
Choose this, and complete the reset and tell me please if it now sees the network Lorna
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When I press OK to reset to factory defaults nothing happens. After a flicker it returns to the settings page

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Lorna, this tells me the problem.
It is the internal memory that has faulted. This is why you cannot get any networks to show and why the reset will not run. No matter the firmware problem, the reset will always run.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to replace the Kindle. The warranty will have expired and this cannot be repaired (as the cost of repair exceeds the value of the Kindle. All your books are safe though and on the replacement Kindle these will automatically be transferred.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.