Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

Can you help me with a question about excel

Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you tell me please the question you have and I can help you?
thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am trying to create an invoicing system in excel. I have a spread sheet with a list off inventory in one column and the selling price in a column next to it. I want to create a dropdown box on my invoice to be able to pick the relevant product and also the price in the cell next to it. I can create a drop down box for the product list - no problem - but I cannot find a way of also bring in the selling price.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Can I look at your sheet please Graham? Its easier for me.
- Click the following link: http://www.wikisend.com
- Upload the file to that website
- Once it is uploaded, the resulting page will display a "File ID" number.
- Please, give me that "File ID Number"
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I scrapped the sheet as I wasn't making progress with the view to starting again.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
You want me to put together something for you?
But, before we start, do you have Microsoft Access there Graham?
As a invoicing system belongs better in this, as Excel can do it but is not made for it whereabouts Access is.
It comes with Office professional, let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have it but am not familiar with it.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, I can make you this in Access which is in the long term better for reports, expansion ect.
Or in Excel
Let me know please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

excel as I have a better understanding of it.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
no problem, doing it now
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Your welcome, nearly done
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
This is now done Graham
Go to www.wikisend.com and download from File ID 420894
You will see page one you add the product and price and on the next sheet you can select it and it will link the price.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. I am obviously missing something. The dropdown box doesn't seem to work.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
I redownloaded it and it works perfectly here Graham.
How does it not work for you?
I can see you are a first time user to the site. What we do here is either a question and answer type of conversation or remote support where I would actually connect to the computer and have a look and fix the issue if possible.
Remote support can save a lot of time if you are not comfortable performing repairs yourself.
I will send an offer through for remote support and should you accept I will connect and see what is going on and fix the issue. Otherwise we can continue to talk like this but I will need to ask a number of other questions and try and walk you through some steps for repair.
Both options are 100% guaranteed by the way. Remote is just quicker and avoids the risk of you making a mistake and doing something wrong.
If you want remote click get extra help. If not simply reply to me.
Thanks,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'll take another look at it and try an understand why it's not working. I'll get back to you later.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, open the sheet, then you just click and choose a value and next to it you will see the price appear.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi. No. There is the word apple in the dropdown box but it can't be changed to any of the other items in the inventory. Also I need to have multiple product on the invoice. I think I can manage that but the first issue is still not resolved. Your help is appreciated.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, it is working perfectly for me so I am really confuse why you have the problem.
Can I log on and look please on the connected computer?
It is easier to work with you on this. You can see and control everything I do
Can you please go to www.teamviewer.com
Click on Download in the top right.
Go down to "TeamViewer Quicksupport"
Click on Download and download and run the program.
It will give you an ID and a Password.
Please give me the ID (leave a space between each character eg: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9) and the password ***** your next message to me here.
Do not close the program, but leave it open.
I can then connect to your computer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

902 833 766

4803

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That seems to be Ok now. Only thing I need now is how do I increase the nuber of lines for the invoice. Thanks so much for your help

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Your most welcome
was an error in excel causing the problem, which we fixed as well Graham.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Sorry Graham, where you asking me this?
I may have misread it