hongkongpom
hongkongpom, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I am a Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technican and skilled in the troubleshooting of computer problems
40928634

GuysI have just moved to my present address and the previous

Hi Guys
I have just moved to my present address and the previous occupants have left me with an Acer SRS wow TV. It is on the wall, it's a 26" set, it's plugged in. I can get an initial set up screen but can't get the channels to work.
Initially the chap had it wired into computers with all manner of wires coming through the wall.
Any idea what I can do to get this working please?
Sandy
Category: Computer
Expert:  hongkongpom replied 2 years ago.

Are you able to get the model number of the TV please?

If you can see a set up screen then that is good.

At bare minium you need an aerial cable plugged into the back of the TV.

You can then enter the set up screen to tune in any channels off of the aerial.

If the previous occupant had Sky then there's a good chance there'll be a HDMI cable into the back of the TV to connect to the Sky box. If not HDMI then Scart or AV.

Can you see behind the TV at all so that you can take a photo for us?

hongkongpom, Computer Enthusiast
Experience: I am a Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technican and skilled in the troubleshooting of computer problems
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

A. I am on my own today, unable to lift off tv off the wall, model number I guess will be on the back? Ive a chap coming tomorrow may be able to assist on that score.

A. The previous owners were on Virgin media, similar to Sky.

A.Will try and find this information tomorrow?

A. AV seems the likely port?

A. See answer one.

Can I email you tomorrow and how would I do that, can I get this link again?

Thanks so far.

Sandy

See if you can use a mirror to read the model number from the back rather than lifting off the whole TV.

To attach a photo please press the paperclip icon on the toolbar at the top of the answer box,

This page explains what to do

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello there,

Sorry but your attachment only contains a rtf document with no photo?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Attachment: 2015-02-12_093829_tv_model_no.rtfd.zip

Did This work?

If so what now?

Sandy

Hi Sandy,

Yes, thank you I got it.

Ok here is the link to your manual

ftp://ftp.acer.be/monitor/lcd/manuals/al2671w/LCD-TV_en.pdf

Lets both refer to pg9 & 13 please.

I see that yes in fact your TV doesn't have HDMI so you can use th

An aerial cable will go to number 1

Your connections 2 (both Scart AV2s) will be used to bring a signal from a Sky box and also to take a signal to a recording device.

If you can't easily reach the scart on the back then you can use the AV connections 3a/b/c on the bottom of the TV.

You use the AV button on the remote control to select the AV inputs on the TV.

Press the Scart button on the remote to select the Scart connection on the back.

If you want to connect a PC to this TV you'll use either 2a or 2b.

You can plug in some external speakers or headphone into 4 on the bottom if you need better TV sound.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks for your help so far. I'm in the middle of some other stuff at present and may find it difficult to get back and 'try' and put into practice what you've advised.

What sort of time frame is this fee of £28 valid please?

Sandy

As long as you need.

Could you send me a photo of the cables that are behind the TV so that I can see what you have?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, I can get someone to lift the tv off the wall, but will be tomorrow. OK?

Sandy

Take your time,

If there are cables connected to the back of the TV can you find the other ends in another location?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

HiCustomer/p>

Hope you received 4 photos of back of tv.

I tried to download the manual or even look at it but, I was met with

'Webpage is not available'. !!

Hope you can advise?

Sandy

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi again

Managed to download page 9 and 13! I've taken photos of the bottom of the tv and its as described on page 9

I really am not intending to attach any 'peripherals', DVD camera etc. This is just a tv in the kitchen. My main tv in the loung, is Virgin Media setup and happy with that.

I think I'm overplaying the whole set up. But will be happy to take on board what you think, just as long as I can use it.

Sandy

Thanks Sandy.

Yes. I got the photos.

The fact that the white cable plugs into the aerial socket (number 1) is a good sign.

If this was a Virgin or Sky cable then it would be a screw on type connector (unless the previous resident changed the plug).

Can you see an aerial on the roof?

Does the TV in the lounge have an aerial cable that plugs into that TV and does it show a good picture?

I've looked through the specs for this TV and it shows that's it's analogue only. As the UK is now all digital, you will need to buy an external digital set top box (STB) and then plug the white cable into that. You would then use this STB to tune the digital channels.

This STB would plug into the Scart AV1 in. You would press the Scart button on the TV remote to receive the picture from the STB.

You should be able to pick up a cheap digital STB from any electrical shop. To give you more features, you could buy a digital PVR which would allow you to record and play back shows at your convenience.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks to HKPom

Bought a STBox and had a few teething issues and finally got it working.

Brilliant advice and nice and clear instructions.

Sandy