Randy Computer Tech
Randy Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer specialist
62741268

My Acer laptop won't come on I had 18 updates today and I has

My Acer laptop won't come on I had 18 updates today and I has a couple of warnings over the last couple of days saying I had to restart the laptop to fix something that wasn't right please help
Category: Computer
Expert:  Randy Computer Tech replied 2 years ago.
My name is***** will assist you.
I am sorry to hear that you are having this issue.
Follow these steps please>
  1. Unplug the AC adapter from the computer.
  2. Remove the battery from the battery compartment.
  3. Press and hold down the Power button for about 60 seconds to drain any residual electrical charge from the capacitors that protect the memory.
  4. Insert the battery and plug the AC adapter back into the notebook computer, but do not connect any of the peripheral devices.
  5. Press the Power button to turn on the computer.
  6. If a startup menu opens, use the arrow keys to select Start Windows Normally, and then press the Enter key.
  7. .
    .
    .
    Please let me know if this does not work or if you need any other assistance.
    After the issue is resolved please take a moment to rate my service.
    Thank you very much!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Still nothing :-( Help!!

Okay, are the lights on the front of the laptop on?
What happens when you press the power button?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes the lights on but when I press the on button it's lighting up but happening whatsoever happens just a black screen
Okay, do you hear a fan spinning or the hard drive spinning at all?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Good morning sorry I was to tired to continue last night. I've just turned my notebook on and I heard a noise it might have been the fan but it only lasted a few seconds and it's still just a blank screen.

Okay, do you have an external monitor that you can connect to the laptop?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I don't sorry
Okay, check and see if there is an image on the screen with a flashlight. Power on the computer and shine a flashlight on the screen and check if you can see any images.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've just done that and there's nothing just a black screen
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can hear something I'm not sure if it's the fan or hard drive
Okay, that is a good sign. However the next option is to find out if the display or display adapter has failed. That will require connecting an external monitor.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I do that? I don't have one can I do it with another laptop? :-(
Does the laptop have an hdmi output on the side?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately it doesn't have one

Okay, we have done the only steps available to get the screen to come on. This sounds like either the graphics adapter has failed or the system has been corrupted and caused the graphics to fail. In either case you will need to have the computer connected to an external monitor to test and repair.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Could I connect to my TV?
Yes, most of the newer model tv's have a pc connection. If yours does you can use a vga monitor cable and connect the laptop to the tv. If the tv did not have the pc connection you can get an adapter that connects from your computer vga to the tv hdmi input.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a hdmi cable will I try it?
Ok, what is the model number of your acer laptop?
It should be on a label near the keyboard.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Aspire 5542 my tv has a pc input but I don't have the pc cable for it
Okay, the pc input is going to be the only option for that model acer. You can get the vga cable shipped to your home from Amazon for £8.00 free delivery.
If we can get it connected and showing on the tv I can connect to it remotely and get it working properly again. If you connect to the tv and it does not show on the tv screen then you will know for sure that the display has failed.
Experience: Computer specialist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks for your help I think it would be easier for me to take it to a pc repair shop as it's a bit to complicated for me thank you again if I have any other problems I'll be back in touch
Your welcome!
Please let me know if you need any other assistance.
Please take a moment to rate my service.
Thank you very much!