Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

DELL latitude E6420 laptop - when switched on says windows

DELL latitude E6420 laptop - when switched on says windows encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer. status is 0xc00000e9, unexpected I/O error
error still present when system tries to fix itself and when switch off and on
no devices are connected to the computer (it has internal CD drive)
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you remove the power cable and battery please and hold the power button down for 30 seconds, then release.
Then connect the power and the battery and turn it on and tell me if it now starts correctly.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Have done that but the problem still exists on startup

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
It appears your hard disk has corrupted data so I want to rule this out first please.
do the following please
Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator.
A black window will open.
Type in it
sfc /scannow
press enter and when it has completed, type in
chkdsk /r
Press enter.
It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.
Then tell me if you still get the error.
I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I would like to undertake the steps mentioned above myself but how do I click start to begin when the windows system won't boot up

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
No problem at all.
Sorry, it was not clear the system was not starting.
Can you turn the computer off
Turn it on and keep tapping F8 until you get to a menu.
Tell me if you can get to this menu please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I can't seem to get to a menu using F8

When I switch on I get the windows error recovery page which then offers for me to start windows normally or launch start up repair.

Following either of these options leads to the error page and then it reverts back to the windows error recovery page

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, sounds as though the hard drive is suffering a hard ware fault.
If we can't get to the F8 menu, we have to attempt a recovery.
Before we do this, is there any data on the hard disk you want to try to salvage, as this next step will format the hard disk removing all data.
Let me know please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes there are a lot of word documents and also photos

I have a back up of most of the photos so not so important

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, then you have two options here
First note there is a good chance the hard drive is not going to work again and you have lost some if not all data, but you only know this by trying to get the data off it and attempting a factory restore.
First, you need to remove the hard disk from the Laptop. This entails dissasembling it. Its not an easy task so if you do not feel comfortable doing this, take it to a computer store to have them do this and put the data to a Disk for you.
If you do feel ok doing this, you will need to purchase this adapter
http://www.amazon.co.uk/SATA-Hard-Drive-Adapter-Cable/dp/B001OORMVQ
Then you connect the adapter to the hard disk and the other end of the adapter to another computers USB port and you can access the files like any USB memory stick ect.
Then put the hard drive back in the laptop and attempt to restore the computer to new by doing the following
Turn on the computer.
As the computer starts, press on the keyboard until the
Advanced Boot Options menu appears on the screen.
You must press before the Windows logo appears on the screen. If you press after the Windows logo appears on the screen, the Advanced Boot
Options menu will not appear on the screen. If you do not see the
Advanced Boot Options menu, restart the computer, and then repeat this step until you see the menu on the screen.
Press the on the keyboard to select Repair Your
Computer on the Advanced Boot Options menu, and then press .
Specify the language settings that you want, and then click Next.
Log in as a user who has administrative credentials, and then click
OK.
Click Dell Factory Image Restore.
In the Dell Factory Image Restore window, click Next.
Click to select the Yes, reformat hard drive and restore system
software to factory condition check box.
Click Next.
The computer is restored to the default factory configuration.
When the restore operation is completed, click Finish to restart the computer.
As F8 did not work before, I am concenred this wont be possible, which means the hard disk has faulted and will need to be replaced. You will only know this though after completing the above steps.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks very much for all your help.

I will now take the PC to a computer shop as I am not confident on doing the factory restore

I do recognise that I may lose all the data from the hard ware

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Its not a complete failure, so you stand a good chance of recovery, though using the hard drive again is likely not going to be possible as there is damage somewhere on it
Let me know if you need anything else.
And please remember the service rating.
-Richard
Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry